Chapter Three

Roman Montague was the first to greet his soulmate. He was terrified of doing so, knowing that this person was supposed to be his destined partner for the rest of his life.

He wondered what they were like. What gender, what name, what age, even. Where on earth they were. If they liked art, or saw it as a fruitless endeavor like his dad. If they spoke any other languages.

Everyone in his school was talking with their soulmates already, eagerly scribbling down a note or a thought on their hand or forearm in the middle of class and squeaking in happiness when they received a reply. Why hadn't his soulmate greeted him already? Maybe they wanted nothing to do with him. He knew they existed. He had seen the small red ovals on the sides of his nose from their glasses.

They wore glasses.

He bet they were absolutely adorable in them. He had always liked glasses.

And he had seen the red line of a cat scratch on his cheek a few months ago.

They liked cats.

He himself was allergic, but he was sure that was something they could compromise on. Maybe get one of those hairless cats.

He shook his head away from his thoughts, paying attention once more to the art teacher. He was simply telling them that it was a free class that day and setting out boxes of pens and markers and stacks of papers. Roman loved free classes. Sure, he was always excited for the chance to review his work with his peers and being given some sort of instruction that he could run with, but there was something about the ability to just let loose and create a true work of art that sparked a passion in him.

He was the first one to get to the table of supplies, as usual. Nobody was as excited for this class as he was.

Picking out a few glittery gel pens, a number 2 pencil, and a yellow piece of construction paper, he carried his supplies back to his table. He opened the red pen, prepared to start his masterpiece, and paused.

The girl across the table was doodling on her hand, the drawing being contributed to by her soulmate until they had a beautiful mosaic of blue and green flowers and diamonds.

The boy across the room was simply writing something on his arm, not bothering to draw anything. To be honest, Roman wasn't so sure he had seen him draw anything in this class. Most of his "artworks" that he turned in for review consisted of blocked shapes and bubble letters.

Roman stared down at his arm, and he twirled the pen in his hand.

He had to say something. One of them had to say something, and his soulmate hadn't said anything so far. He supposed he might as well be the one to break the silence, but what would he even say? What kind of greeting was right for someone who was supposed to be his perfect match for life?

"Hello."

It was simple enough. The looping letters stared back at him, and for a long moment, he worried that they wouldn't write back. That they would ignore him.

But then his skin got a warm, tingly feeling over it, and his eyes widened as the words scritched on his skin.

"Hiya!"

"Salutations."

Two greetings. In two different colors. Light blue gel pen and black ink. He had two soulmates.

His cheeks ached with the grin that stretched over his mouth, and he stared excitedly at his arm. At the words.

"There's three of us?" The light blue words appeared after only a moment's hesitation.