38: Delphi Speaks

PERCY PoV

My uncle gets tugged into the cabin, and then there's a deafening cheer from inside. Clarisse turns and shoves us away from the door. Just in time, too, because the entire cabin spills out, and the mob of cheering children rush to bunker nine. As they pass by, one of them snatches Steve's shield. With the return of Leo, and the guest Tony Stark in company- The Hephaestus cabin is unstoppable.

Other campers turn at the commotion, and watch the cheering stampede shriek like banshees as they disappear into the trees. After a collective silence lasting approximately five seconds, the campers return to what they were doing before.

"What just happened?" Steve looks to the tree line.

"The Hephaestus cabin just got Leo Valdez and Tony Stark, that's what happened." Clarisse sums up.

"Let's just hope they're too busy making gadgets to try world domination." Natasha comments. 

Clint pales. "I'm related to these people?"

"Distantly, vaguely." Clarisse says.

"Well, now what?" I ask no-one in particular.

"You haven't been here in months, Prissy."

"I'm aware."

"I gotta see how out of shape you are."

"You do realize that just because I wasn't here doesn't mean I haven't been practicing, right?" I ask her.

"Yeah? And who were you fighting? A mortal dummy?" Clarisse and I banter as we make our way to the arena.

"Not really, I mean, there was some friendly spar matches with the mortals. But then I was with my Dad for six weeks..." I trail off.

"Hold up, Prissy. Are you saying that Poseidon tutored you?" 

"Ahuh."

"Personally?"

"You betcha."

"I don't believe it."

"It's true."

"Prove it."

"That I can do." I grin. "So, what've I missed around here?"

"Not much," She says. "Cabin nine and eleven teamed up some more. Everyone is suspicious when they even talk to eachother. They've resorted to passing notes, I think."

"I'm not surprised." I chuckle, "Should I be worried?"

She shrugged. "We've got some new kids showing up."

"Really? Already?" I turned to her, surprised.

"Yeah. I've gotten two new siblings already."

"Woah. How old are they?" I ask.

"Six and ten." Clarisse replies.

"Are they war monsters?" I joke.

"Not yet. Won't be long." She assures me. "Some of the councilors have been thinking..."

"About what?" I inquire.

"Of... Combining the camps." She says.

"Combining the camps? Woah! Like, how combined?" 

"They have better education opportunities, and well, it's New Rome, you know... We have stuff that's more... Summer camp. Hell, that's what we call ourselves. But combining, we could send our kids to school, and then they could send their kids over here for training before they join the legion."