Chapter Forty Nine

May 15th ,2002 - the day Calum is released from the mental health facility

The nurse helped Calum gather his belongings and escorted him down to the auditorium for the final time.

Everyone was there: the boys, the nurses, his psychologist, the friends he made over the last few months.

The nurse bought Calum to the front of the crowd, the whole crowd erupted into cheers and claps. Calum couldn't stop smiling.

"I just want to thank everyone for not giving up on me and for helping me find my happy again."

Calum gave one final wave as he was walking toward the door, Ashton was the first to come up to Cal, to give him the biggest hug ever, followed by Luke and Michael.

The boys congratulated Calum even more as they made their ways out to the sidewalk.
Calum took a deep breath and let the nice fresh air fill his lungs. It's been awhile since he was able to do that. He liked the way the air felt on his skin. He even loved the way the sun shined down on him.

Ashton led the way, nobody said anything until they got in front of Calum's apartment door. Luke handed Calum his keys, and Cal unlocked the door immediately, everyone else just gave him some space. Cal opened up the door to Duke bouncing all around and parking like crazy. He picked Duke up to pet him, and when he walked toward the kitchen he was created by two familiar faces, his parents. He hasn't seen either of them since Christmas.

Calum paused a moment, taking it all in, apart of him didn't think it was real.

Calum's mother couldn't wait, she embraced him immediately.

Ashton was standing behind Calum and couldn't help it but to awe at what he saw.

Calum embraced his mother straightaway almost breaking down into tears. "I missed you so much, Mum."

"I missed you too."

"Look at you, you're looking so good! And you're smiling too." Calum blushed at his mother's words.

A few minutes later Joy walked over to where Ashton, Luke and Michael were standing. "I just want to thank all three of you for taking care of my beloved son. He has his life back and his beaming smile."

Ashton had nothing but gratitude for Mrs Hood.

They spent the rest of night having wine and celebrating Calum's recovery.

Calum was happy to be back in his own place. It made the whole recovery really worth it.

Before going to bed that night he opened up the curtains with his hands, Duke sat at his feet. Calum inhaled deeply and looked out the window, taking in all pretty sights.
He closed the curtains before picking up duke and placing him on the pillow beside him.
He felt normal again. He was grateful to have his independence back.

-
[sorry for the short chapter, I was really busy and I've had writer's block for a while]