113

Nov 1st, 2011 -

5SOS stood next to each in the middle of the airport saying goodbye to their families before heading toward their terminal to go to Sydney. It's been years since they last been in their home city. It'll be bittersweet.

"Are you sure you don't want us to come?" Crystal have Michael a quick peck on the check while holding onto Scarlett's hand.

"It'll be too much for us all to go, as much as I want you there it's best you stay here." Michael pulled away while looking all around.

"How long do you think you'll be gone for?" Ashley looked all concerned at Ashton.

"It all depends, maybe a week maybe more. It's really bad over there." Ashton managed to explain.

An announcement suddenly come over the loud speaker...

"Well that's our flight! We gotta go!" Calum responded, grabbing his luggage and leaning down to kiss Faith on the head.

The band took turns saying their goodbyes to their wives and children before heading toward the terminal. "Have a safe flight!" Sierra's scream echoed through the airport as 5SOS waved from afar.

There was an eerie silence as the plane landed in Sydney. All anyone could focus on was the large plumes of smoke coming from all different directions.

The band gathered their things and headed off the plane into the airport, the majority of people there were quiet. It felt like everything had changed.

It's been years since they've set foot in that airport, ever since they've had children of their own they've limited their travels, it was too long of a flight to bring any kids on. They normally had their families fly out to New York for special occasions that was about it.

The band split up into two groups they went to go see their families first before meeting up later on.

Luke and Calum gazed out the windows while going down the high way, they couldn't believe at how bad everything was.

Michael was with Ashton in the other car, and Ashton began to well up with tears at the site of smoke and ashes in the sky. Sydney meant a lot to him, despite all the Shit he went through as a child, it was still home, he cherished it more as an adult.

They all did.

Hours later, the boys met up, they found themselves standing at a beach they used to hangout back in the 90s. All the memories of their teen years came rolling back.

"We should have come back sooner." ASHTOn broke the absolute silence.

"I don't think that would have made a difference,Ash." Luke replied.

"Look around Luke,just look, there's no sun, no clear skies, it's just a wall of darkness." Ashton pointed in various different directions every one just watched.

"Even though were nearly 40 now, this is still our home. No matter if we're living over the states or not, this is still where we were born and raised. I aspect you guys to act better." Ashton folded his arms and looked at his band with despair in his eyes.

"You're not the only one bummed out About this, we all are." Michael chimed in.

"I just feel like nobody cares." Ashton didn't mean to lash out on any of them.

"Ash..I wish we can just close our eyes and open them and have everything back to normal. But it doesn't work that way." Luke pouted.

Calum slid his hands into his pocket and kicked a rock across the sand. "I visited that soccer field I used to practice on, all the brush around it burned up." Everyone turned toward Calum, calum tried not to look at them he just focused on the ocean.

"We've had so much bad luck. Sometimes I feel like we'll never get a break you know?" Michael wanted to ease the focus off of Calum.

"It could be way worse, Michael." Lukes chimed in.

Ashton just stared off in a distance and Luke and Michael were focused on each other, a loud sniffle sound startled them, causing them to look over to see Calum breaking down into tears.

Luke quickly sprung into action, throwing his arm around Calum bringing him closer and Calum just lost it completely. "cal, it's alright. We're going to get through this together. It'll be over soon. Sydney is strong." Luke's voice began to crack, at the sight of Calum.

"We made it through so many battles together and we'll get through this one too. Everyone is working hard and Sydney will be saved." Michael added on.

The band stood there for a little while longer, they wanted to regroup themselves before leaving - as they walked down the street Ashton had an idea.

And on that very day, a song Red Desert was born. Red Desert was a song about Australia, it's where it all began for them. Australia harvested all their ups and downs and shaped them into the people they are today, they owe the creation of the band to them. It was now their turn to repay their roots, they should have done this decades ago but they had a hard time articulating what they really wanted. Now after seeing, their homes being torn up, and being away for so long, it gave them plenty of ideas to come up with something like this.