122

March 17th, 2013:
Luke opened the car doors, letting Cass and Trin get into their seats in the back of the car, Luke stood there for a couple of minutes making sure that they both had fascinated their seatbelts properly.

"Everything okay?" Both girls nodded their heads and Luke shut the door and hopped into the front seat. "Why isn't Mommy coming?"Cass leaned over waiting for her Father's response.

"Mommy is writing and recording new music today." Luke explained and Cass understood.

Luke turned on the car and the radio and as he was typing something into Google Maps on his phone, a comment on the radio caught his immediate attention.

"Yeah so last month, 5 Seconds of Summer were at a benefit dinner, and officially announced their retirement after being together twenty years, I know we discussed this when the news broke but do you think it's kind of selfish that they decided to end things at a benefit concert?"

Luke finished typing the address into Google Maps and put his phone on the dashboard and started to pull out of the driveway. There was still a silence in the car aside from the radio, Luke didn't want to cause a scene.

"I mean, selfish is a strong word. There was a lot of executives and colleagues in that room that night so it was probably more comfortable for them to break the ice with all those people. They didn't just show up to a children's charity benefit and make it about themselves, they've always been philanthropic people."

Luke stopped at the first stop light down the road and looked into the mirror and say both girls looking back at him. "Daddy why are they saying that stuff about 5SOS?"Trinity was curious and Luke knew that both girls were smart enough to understand what was being said.

"They are just mad that we want to to take a Long well deserved break and spend time with the people we love." Luke explained everybody just listened.

"You love us Daddy?" The twins spoke at the same time. "Yes! I love you both so so much."

It got quiet again, and Luke turned up the radio.

"I mean if you ask me, 5SOS, should do whatever they think is best for them. Usually, retirement is discussed for a long time. A lot of rockstars do this and then they come back, and tour again, and it's an ongoing cycle for some people. They had a long career, and released tons of amazing music... so let's celebrate them, here is their biggest hit Youngblood!"

Luke proceeded to turn up the radio, Trinity and Cassidy, started to sing a long.

Around a half hour later they arrived at their destination and the mood shifted quite quickly.
Luke parked the car and got out, he helped the twins get out onto the sidewalk before getting something out of the trunk.

"Daddy why are we at the park?" Cassidy turned around looking straight up at her father. "I figured since the both of you are big girls now, I wanted to show you something. Not even your Uncles know about it."

The twins looked at each other and nodded and went along with it, while Luke took out a bouquet of flowers and shut the trunk.

"Cmon lets go." Luke motioned the girls to walk along side him and they began walking through the entrance of Washington Square Park. It was a cold day so there wasn't many people around, the girls looked at all the trees and all the statues all around the park.

Luke tried hard not bring attention to himself and His daughters, he just wanted a peaceful day without being bothered.

They kept walking on the park path until Luke turned left, and started walking through the grass toward a section of trees.

"Now what I am about to show you is a secret, only Mommy and I know about it. You can't tell anyone. It's really special to us and it's about to become really special to you two too." The twins agreed to stay quiet and they walked in the middle of two trees, while Luke pointed at something on the ground.

"Remember a few years ago I told you both that you were supposed to have a big sister, but then we lost her before we got to meet her? Well, this is our memorial for her." Luke ushered the girls closer to him — Luke pointed at the engraved stone that was sitting on the soft fluffy grass, the stone read, "In Loving Memory of Elizabeth Rose Hemmings, March 17th, 2004, forever loved and dearly missed, Love Always, Mom & Dad"

The twins bent over to look at the stone, and Luke stood behind them. He wanted to take a moment to breathe.

"Daddy?"
"Yes Cassidy?"
"Do you think Elizabeth would have been a great big sister?"

"Yes, I do."

Luke let out a soft smile, he was glad he no longer had to keep this from his two daughters.

"I have a question?" Trinity spoke up this time. "What is your question?"

"Why is her memorial in the park?"

"Mommy and I wanted it to be in a special spot. We used to live not to far from this park and used to come through here a lot, it's quiet and peaceful. It's somewhere where we know that Elizabeth will always be safe."

Luke liked the questions and the curiousity. "Here girls take some flowers and put them on the stone." Luke let them take a few flowers from the bouquet and they started placing them on the ground, when the twins were done Luke places the last of them, and squadded down in between the twins wrapping his arms around them.

"Let's say a quick prayer for her okay?" Luke closed his eyes and quickly mumbled the Lords Prayer, the girls just followed along. When Luke was done he patted the stone and stood up.

"We can go now." He said, and everyone got up and started walking back to the car. "Thank you for showing us, that, Daddy." "Yeah, thanks Daddy."

Luke smiled, he was glad they appreciated that little trip. He felt free knowing he did not have to keep it a secret, any more.