Chapter Sixteen: Ruined Eyes

Bumblestar POV
I glanced towards the nursery to see Nightkit and Shadekit, roused by the commotion out in the clearing. Sandstorm was blocking their path, forcing them back inside the nursery. She probably didn't want the kits to witness the atrocity that was heartbeats away.

Foxleap nodded to me, and then lifted a forepaw. Blossomfall pleaded with him to let her go and writhed about in desperation. The reddish-brown tom hesitated and I prepared to interfere if he didn't complete the task. But he surprised me, and laughed, slicing downward with his claws and raking them across her side. She yowled with fury and kicked upward with her hindlegs. However, her attempt to knock her former mate away failed.

"Good job! Keep going!" I called.

Foxleap's claws rested on her throat. "Don't you have any last words?"

Blossomfall remained silent, and I watched his claws dig deeper into her throat until she was gasping for breath, struggling to breathe. Nobody said a word, and even the birds in the forest had stopped chirping.

"Just...kill me...please," she choked out.

Foxleap glanced over his shoulder at me briefly before returning his attention to Blossomfall. "Where's the fun in that?"

His forepaw swung downwards towards her face. Claws raked across her left eye, shredding the pupil. Shivers crept down my spine as I heard her screech in agony. I feared that I would imagine I was in her body as I did during Hazelkit's death. I did not want to know what that pain felt like; I only wanted to know that she knew what it felt like. Fortunately, I remained in my own body. However, I still couldn't help but to imagine how it felt in the back of my mind. I noticed some of the warriors gagging at the sight, but they wisely said nothing.

Foxleap swept his claws across the other eye, receiving another shriek from Blossomfall. I looked closely and saw her claws sinking into the ground, tearing up clumps up grass as her body convulsed. Foxleap stepped back, but she made no attempt to rise to her feet. I strained my ears and heard her faint whimpers after the spasms passed.

Blossomfall POV

My eyes were burning, shooting columns of fire to the back of my skull. I was dimly aware of Foxleap stepping away, but I had no intentions of getting up. I forced my eyes to open so that I could get a view of the situation, causing me to yowl in pain because the agony intensified.

I gritted my teeth and tried to block out the fact that I felt like my eyes were dissolving in acid. I blinked a few times and waited for the darkness to fade. Nothing happened. I lifted my head and turned it from side to side. I still couldn't see anything, nothing but a world as black as night. I gasped in shock and horror. I was blind, completely and utterly blind. I suddenly felt a rush of sympathy for Jayfeather. Was this how he felt every day, how he'd had to live his whole life?

"Stand up," Foxleap sneered. "Fight me."

I rose to my paws, spitting with fury. Foxleap hissed something from directly in front of me. I unsheathed my claws and lunged at the tom with outstretched forepaws. I landed clumsily and tumbled to the ground. Foxleap must've sidestepped...how could I fight without sight?

I imagined how foolish I must've looked, leaping at the air as Foxleap easily moved out of the way. I knew Bumblestar was watching from his perch on the Highledge, whiskers twitching with amusement and his eyes filled with contempt.

I pushed myself awkwardly back onto my paws. I staggered forward, searching for Foxleap. I stopped and sniffed the air, detecting his scent behind me. I raked my claws across the empty space in front of me, knowing that was what they wanted to see. I then whipped around, leaping forward and colliding with Foxleap. I landed on top of him and scrambled to my paws. I tried to pin him to the ground, but I couldn't find his neck or his shoulders. I sank my teeth into what felt like his leg and clawed feebly at what I thought was his stomach, but seemed to be his tail.

He chuckled, and heaved himself upward, easily sending me flying. I hit the ground hard, and couldn't find the strength to rise to my paws. My eyes still felt as if they were trapped in a blazing fire. I sighed and gave in to the inevitability that I would die that day.

A/N: Hope you enjoyed guys! :D Please comment with your thoughts, thanks for all of your wonderful support!