Chapter 34

Just to let you know I've made a little change to the timeline: As the pilots first aired in early 2011, I've moved everything forward by two years. So the events of Rebooted now happened in autumn 2012 (in this AU), and the main story began in October 2018 (which is when I actually started writing it 😉).

This is a pretty short filler, the flashback is actually almost as long as the chapter itself (and it takes place about two months after the one from chapter 13, and after Hands of Time).

For the next chapter, which POV (Lloyd, Katherine, Jay or Nya) would you like to read?

——-

Chapter 34 (Katherine)

One and a half years ago (June 2017), Ninjago 'Elementary Masters' Primary School

I arrive a few minutes late for our 'lunch date', so I am not surprised to find my always punctual friend is already there. It's a beautiful day, so Jay is waiting for me at one of the small tables outside the sandwich shop, as are two glasses of homemade iced tea.

"Sorry, I'm late." I apologise as I plop into the chair opposite him. "Mrs Johnson and I had to discuss a couple of things after class."

"No problem." He slides one of the glasses across the table, and I gratefully accept it. "I've already ordered and taken care of the bill, hope you don't mind Cobb Salad." He smirks, well aware that I love it and always get the same here.

"Thanks." I return the smile. "But you really have to stop paying for me."

"Hey, that's what friends do for each other." He flashes me one of his trademark grins. "Besides, I'm the one with a proper job while you're still a poor student."

"Only for three more weeks." I remind him of my upcoming graduation. And not only will I soon be a fully qualified teacher, but after my graduation, I'm also going to take over the kindergarten class at the 'Elementary Masters' Primary School when Mrs Johnson retires at the end of this school year.

I would have never expected that when I started my final placement here two and a half months ago. And neither did I expect to meet such a great friend. Over the last two months, Jay Gordon has become almost like a brother to me.

And while my boyfriend is quite suspicious of his intentions - he is a rather jealous and sometimes a bit overly possessive person - I am absolutely certain that friendship is all that Jay expects and wants from me.

"And then it will be my turn to pay for our lunch." I nonetheless tell him.

He pouts playfully. "And what am I supposed to spend my father's money on?"

It came as quite a surprise when Jay told me that he is the biological son of the late Cliff Gordon, one of the biggest movie stars Ninjago's ever had. And I somehow feel that this wasn't his only secret.

Like this mysterious ex-girlfriend of his. He doesn't really like to talk about her; I don't even know her name or how they met. Maybe she is a celebrity...

"Gordon to Dashner." Jay's voice pulls me out of my thoughts, and only then do I notice that our food has arrived.

"Everything alright?" Jay wants to know. "You just looked like you were lost in space."

"Just in thoughts." I reply. "But it sounds like you have some experience with getting lost in space." I tease, but for some reason Jay doesn't catch on the joke.