8

Arden was silent that morning as she patiently waited for the sun to creep up far enough that she would be able to go to the Maze entrance

Arden was silent that morning as she patiently waited for the sun to creep up far enough that she would be able to go to the Maze entrance. Newt was fast asleep beside her, having fallen asleep in the middle of talking the night before. He had been swearing to Arden that he wouldn't go to sleep, that he had never been more awake, but his words had fallen short as his eyes fluttered closed.

Before Arden had knew what was happening, Newt had fallen asleep, his head resting against her shoulder while his hand that had been holding onto hers went limp in her hold and his breath came out in short puffs.

Arden couldn't stop herself from smiling slightly at the boy, her eyes flickering over his face that seemed to glow under the orange light coming from the fire. She spent the rest of the night sitting beside Newt, allowing the boy to rest against her while she just enjoyed the warmth of the fire and the feeling of Newt's hand in her own.

It was only when the surroundings around her began to lighten due to the sun rather than the fire that Arden began to get a little antsy to head over to the maze. So when the sun was up high enough that she knew the Maze would open up any minute, Arden sighed and gently nudged the sleeping boy beside her, whispering, "Newt."

It took a few more shakes and her calling his name for the boy's eyes to flutter open and he yawned before looking to Arden with sleepy eyes. Arden gave him an amused look and whispered, "Good morning."

Newt stared at her almost confused for a moment before he sighed and let out a small groan. "How long was I asleep for?" he questioned.

"Pretty much the whole night, but it's okay," she assured him once she saw the frown on Newt's face. "No, it's not. I promised you I would stay up," Newt muttered.

"Seriously, Newt, it's fine. Now let's go. The Maze is about to open up," Arden told him and that was enough to make Newt's eyes widen before both him and Arden stood up, their hands never leaving each other's as they made their way towards the Maze.

A heavy silence fell among the two once they had reached the Maze, the weight of the whole seriousness of the situation laying heavy in their shoulders. The other Gladers joined soon after and Chuck and Gally were by Arden's side in an instance while the others crowded around the four.

As the doors slowly began to creak open, Arden felt a sudden rush of nervousness through her body. Her breathing was shaky, her body so tense that she knew her muscles would hurt later. Newt's hand tightly gripping onto her own was the only thing preventing her from fully panicking as the doors pulled open, his thumb gently rubbing across the top of her hand calming her racing heart.

Arden held her breath as the doors came to a stop, her eyes flickering around the Maze corridor in front of her that was completely empty. A beat of silence passed as the boys all lowered their heads, knowing fully well what Minho, Thomas, and Alby not being at the entrance meant.