Sweet Dreams

Chasten gave a final wave before he drove away from Peter's house

Chasten gave a final wave before he drove away from Peter's house. A few blocks away when he was sure he was out of sight he pulled over. 

"Oh my God," he breathed and then knocked his head against the steering wheel a few times. He felt drunk and his face hurt from smiling so much.

It literally was the best date he'd ever had in his life. Peter had been exactly the same person he was online and on the phone. There was nothing fake about the man. How refreshing.

Chasten hadn't wanted to leave. 

He had walked Peter to his front door to say goodnight properly. The guy was so shy it was shocking he became a politician. Peter stared at the ground and shuffled his feet, so Chasten set a finger under his chin and tilted his head up. Those blue eyes! So dreamy and sleepy. He could get lost in them forever.

Peter looked like he was about to say something, but before he could talk Chasten leaned in and kissed him again, brushing his hands through his soft hair. Peter trembled and gripped Chasten's arms. Maybe he needed to find his balance just like him. 

Chasten's head was spinning, and if he hadn't stopped himself, he might have ruined things before they even got started. With one last gentle peck on the lips he whispered, "Sweet dreams." Peter smiled drunkenly, but didn't reply. Chasten chuckled. Could this guy be any cuter? It took every ounce of willpower to turn and walk away.

Now he was sitting in his car trying not to freak out. He wanted so badly to turn around and rush back into Peter's arms. But they needed to have "the talk" first. The dreaded talk. 

---

Pete leaned back against his front door, eyes closed, reliving the kiss over and over. Sweet dreams indeed. He had almost invited Chasten in for the coffee they never got to have. But wasn't coffee code for sex? He wasn't ready for that yet. And from Chasten's sweet kisses he could tell the man had enough experience for the both of them. Thank goodness.

He was feeling much stronger and was back to sleeping in his bedroom again. As he reached the top of the stairs his phone rang. Smiling at the display, he answered, "Hey, mom!"

"Peter Paul Montgomery Buttigieg!"

Uh oh. "What did I do?"

"Really? You're going to play games with me? I heard you were looking quite cozy with a strange man."

"He's not strange. A little nerdy maybe--"

"So you admit it! Who is he?"

Pete laughed. "His name is Chasten and he's a school teacher from Chicago. We met online."

"Online? Be careful, honey."

"Always. But we were connected through a dating app that finds people with similar interests. We actually do have a lot in common. I like him, Mom. I like him a lot."

"Oh sweetie, I'm so happy for you. When do we get to meet him."

"Whoa, Mom. We just met! Can we have our second date first?"

"I guess so. Do you have one planned?"

"Community picnic."

"I'll tell your father. He's waiting to hear what's going on."

"Please don't show up on my date."

"You're going to be in a public place! If we happen to be at the picnic why can't we stop by to say hello?"

Why had he picked such a public venue? Maybe he should cancel. Or change it to something more private.

"Peter?"

He couldn't deny his mother anything. "Of course you can. I think you'll like him as much as I do." He hoped. They said goodnight and he got ready for bed. 

Maybe it was just the newness of things? But he couldn't wait to see Chasten again.