Everybody Knows

The first phone call came at 6 am from one of Pete's old college friends who lived on the east coast

The first phone call came at 6 am from one of Pete's old college friends who lived on the east coast. He'd had no clue Pete was gay. But the revelation didn't change their friendship. He praised him for his courage and wished him strength today.

Okay! One down. Only about one hundred thousand more to go. 

Pete hopped out of bed and got ready for his day, hoping it would go as smooth as that phone call had.

Opening his front door he waited for the young paper boy who usually greeted him each morning. A red bicycle was heading his way. Instead of a happy hello the boy glanced at him with wide eyes and rushed past on his bicycle without throwing him a paper. Pete swallowed down the lump in his throat.

The coffee shop was a little better. Nobody gave him any strange looks. They didn't look at him at all. Were they avoiding eye contact? He was the same person he was yesterday!

The barista winked at him and chirped, "I knew it. I had a bet with my sister. She owes me ten bucks!" 

He gave her a crooked smirk. "Glad I could help." He'd always wondered if people assumed that he was either gay or asexual. He never went on dates, never had a girlfriend. Or a boyfriend. And now everyone knew. How humiliating!  Why did it have to be such a big deal? Why was it anyone's business? Why did anyone.care?

When he reached his office, Yesenia jumped up from her desk with arms wide open. He stepped into her hug . "I'm so proud of you, Mayor Pete."

"Thanks." He blinked back tears and quickly changed the subject to pressing work matters, grateful she followed his lead.