Looking for Love

Pete had been valedictorian in high school, president of the Institute of Politics Student Advisory Committee at Harvard, and earned first-class honors in philosophy, politics and economics from Oxford, but he was completely lost when it came to t...

Pete had been valedictorian in high school, president of the Institute of Politics Student Advisory Committee at Harvard, and earned first-class honors in philosophy, politics and economics from Oxford, but he was completely lost when it came to the dating ritual.

Dating was usually something people figured out in high school and college. He hadn't. 

The few girls he'd gone out with were friends. Nothing more. He hadn't even kissed any of them. Not unless you counted a peck on the cheek. And dating men had never been an option.

Pete was beyond ready for some romance. 

But how to go about it when you're the mayor? He couldn't ask someone out for coffee. They might get the wrong idea. He didn't want anyone to accuse him of sexual harassment. 

And what happened to all those parents who had tried to match him up with their daughters? Didn't they have sons or nephews they could introduce him to? 

On second thought, he probably shouldn't date anyone in town at all. He would need to meet someone outside the local news sphere. Someone who didn't know who he was. 

Well, it was the digital age. There had to be an app for that.

He signed up with OK Cupid and Match.com and made a few interesting connections. Sadly, not one of them made his heart flutter. Dates were set up anyway, because he needed the practice. If nothing else, he might make some new friends.

A buddy told him about another app that was supposed to automatically connect people with similar interests in their Facebook profiles. That seemed like a logical way to find someone. At least he hoped it was.

He probably looked like the biggest nerd ever. Classic literature? Classic rock? Classic board games? Good grief! He sounded like his father, rather than the thirty-four year old guy he was. He would probably attract older men. Not that there was anything wrong with older men. It would just be nice to have someone to go jogging and hiking with too.

No sense pretending to be anyone other than himself. He wanted someone who wanted to be with the real him. The thought of long winter nights playing Risk in front of a roaring fire made him smile. 

He polished off his profile and published it. Within minutes he was given his match of the day. Why was his hand shaking? He clicked on the button and his heart skipped a beat.