Chapter 9: Nightfall

The clock was ticking. It was just before 2:00 P.M. on Saturday morning when Dawn had finally finished packing. Today would be the day when Dawn ventured into the forest to look for her missing friend. She wanted desperately to begin her search yesterday after initially hearing the news, but Dawn convinced herself that it would be best to wait another day and depart in the morning when the weather was clearer—and after the majority of police left the area. But now Dawn just hoped that she wasn't already too late.

Although she wished that someone could accompany her, Dawn ultimately chose to go it alone. Since Crystal's disappearance had not been officially announced yet, it would raise suspicions if she were the first to tell anyone. She had even lied to Rick during breakfast, telling him that she would spend the day over Josie's house.

Laid out on her bed were a variety of items including a compass, portable charger, water bottle, pocket knife, digital camera, a map, and a box of animal crackers. As visibility was virtually impossible during the night, Dawn only had about five hours of search time to work with. Dawn gathered all of the items and stashed them into a backpack and placed her phone and keys in the pockets of her jeans. She zipped up her hoodie and tied her hair into a ponytail before running out the door.

It was like any other ordinary day as Dawn made her way through the neighborhood and said hello to her neighbors. She soon made it to the end of the field just in front of the forest clearing which was partially closed off with two logs stacked atop each other. A group of kids had become distracted during their play and stared at her as she prepared to enter. Suddenly, a park ranger came darting from behind as Dawn turned around to face him.

"Hey!" he yelled. "You can't go in there."

Dawn nervously fidgeted with her fingers as she struggled to make up an excuse.

"Oh, you see sir, my dog ran through here a second ago. I have to go after him."

"Err." The man took off his green cap and scratched the back of his head. "I'm sorry, but rules are rules. You know how dangerous it's been here lately. I'm sure your dog will come around."

"Oh my God, what is that ?" Dawn raised her hand over her mouth and pointed toward the street.

"W-what?!" he said, turning his back to her. Dawn quickly leaped over a pile of rocks and ran into the forest. By the time he had turned back around, Dawn was meters into the woods, waving at him through the thick trees. The man simply shook his head and called someone on his walkie talkie as he walked away. Once Dawn felt she gained enough distance, she slowed her pace, kneeling down for a moment as she caught her breath. She took out her phone and checked the reception, which was still strong at four bars. Reaching into her hoodie pocket, Dawn pulled out some red tape, tearing off a piece and sticking it onto one of the thinner trees.

Pushing onward and deeper into the forest, Dawn pondered its reputation and the mystery surrounding it. Sure, it looked creepy at night with the enormous, towering trees being shrouded in pitch darkness and practically engulfing the region. But from what she could tell, it was honestly a beautiful place. 

Ripe with greenery and vivid with wildlife throughout, Dawn couldn't help but to stop and take pictures with her camera. She managed to snap a quick photo of a doe before it ran off past a small pond further ahead. Dawn followed the path it took, taping another strand of tape to one of the hundreds of surrounding fir trees. She crouched down at the base of the pond and frowned for a moment, wondering if she was in over her head.

The forest covered most of the region. Crystal could be anywhere and that was if she was in the forest at all. She had come too far to turn back now, she thought. And the further she ventured into these woods, the more her fears and anxieties dissipated. It was now only a matter of searching the vast area and hoping to find clues. Dawn checked inside ditches and behind bushes, all the while yelling out Crystal's name every few minutes. She spent nearly two hours circling the area before reluctantly heading into an even deeper part of the endless forest. Dawn decided to only briefly search the area, so as to avoid encountering any dangerous animals.