Chapter 20: Shark in the Water

With the team's mission having once again gone awry–this time in the wake of some very unexpected circumstances–Dawn and the others returned to the academy early in the evening. Most of the students on campus had already gone home, leaving the courtyard largely empty apart from some of the departing faculty members. Just to be on the safe side, Sky led them through the rear entrance as, he and Aria dragged a barely conscious Thomas to the meeting room.

Once inside the main building, Dawn and Warren walked several steps ahead of them, checking corners and hallways to ensure they were clear of any onlookers. As they approached the meeting room, Dawn sprinted to the sliding doors and held them open as the others ran inside. When Price, who had been monitoring the cameras at the computer station, noticed Thomas with the group, he immediately stood to his feet and waved his finger at him.

"What is he doing here?!" asked Price. Indignant, he began marching toward them. "Why is he here?"

"We'll explain later," said Sky. "Help me set him down on one of the beds."

"Right," said Aria, as she guided Thomas into Ellie's office.

Price wasted no time following them inside. Warren had a worried look on his face as he watched them scramble to aid Thomas. He let out a sigh and sat down at one of the tables to gather himself. Dawn, meanwhile, could only watch helplessly. It seemed like this was becoming a routine, but, at the same time, it was completely out of her hands. She had never seen Price freak out in such a manner.

"A-are they going to be alright?" she asked. "Who is that Thomas guy anyway?"

"Long story short," said Warren. "Thomas Herring was the fourth member to join after me. He's a former gang member, who happened to have the ability to see demons, so we brought him in because of that. Turns out it was a big mistake. Dude's a hell raiser who caused nothing but trouble for us and even threatened to expose the club on multiple occasions, so we had to kick him out."

"Whoa seriously? I'm surprised you guys even managed that. Where's he been all this time?"

Warren shrugged. "He was pretty bummed when it happened to be honest. But with him showing up late, screwing up our missions, and never taking things seriously, we didn't have a choice. He's crazy though, in a good way. I'll give him that."

"Wow," said Dawn as she took as seat next to Warren. "But to be honest, sounds like we could use someone like him right now. As crazy as these missions are getting. He'd probably be a better help than I was today. Ha."

"No." He took a drink from a water bottle while shaking his head. "No way. Don't listen to Aria. She's just bitter. You've only been here for a month and already helped us more than he did in a year."

Dawn laughed. "Thanks Warren."

Suddenly, Thomas barged back into the main room, Price, Sky, Aria, and Ellie chasing right behind him. He walked over to the end of the table and sat on the edge, flexing his muscles. He had been wearing only a black tank top and was scanning his arm, removing bandages.

"Get this shit off me," said Thomas.

"Thomas," said Ellie. "You need to let those wounds of yours heal."

"Nah, I'm good." He looked over at Dawn. "Who's she? My replacement or what?"

"Replacement? No that would imply you left a role to be filled," said Aria.

"Look, I know I left on a bad note, but I want back in," said Thomas.

"Not happening," said Sky.