Chapter 21: Obstacles

"Whoa you look like hell." Josie took a seat across from Dawn at a table in the cafeteria. Dawn's hair was frizzy, she had bags underneath her eyes, and neglected to apply any makeup. "Rough night?"

A week passed by since Dawn's eventful V.A.S.E. mission and night spent with Rain. Throughout the course of that week, she had probably only slept for more than six hours once. Every other waking moment, she was nervously anticipating a call from Rain about Axel's release from confinement. It didn't help that the looming vote on Thomas was weighing on her as well. The V.A.S.E. meeting was this afternoon and she hardly had time to think it over.

"Oh, thanks a lot Josie," said Dawn. "More like rough month."

"Really? I thought everything was fine and dandy. Ever since you hooked up with Rain, I barely see you anymore. You're either with him or Sky and that weird club."

"Sorry. I've just been so busy with...everything."

Josie smiled. "Don't be sorry. I'm glad you finally got a boyfriend. A really fucking hot one too. Speaking of which, you never told me how that date went last week. Did you guys finally...you know?"

"No." Dawn sighed as she gazed across the sea of students in the crowded cafeteria. "He said it wasn't the right time."

"Shut up. Did he really hit you with the 'it's not you, it's me' garbage?"

Dawn nodded flatly. "Yep."

"Ugh. That is so typical. But it's weird cause he's so into you. Rain totally seems like the type that would secretly be into that super kinky, BDSM type stuff."

"No, you've got him all wrong. Rain is unlike any other guy at this school. He always holds back like that. It's almost like something is...never mind. I don't know."

"Must be nice."

"It's not all good. I haven't heard from him in days. I'm worried he might be mad at me for something else I did."

"Oh my god, what did you do? Did you look through his phone? I did the same thing to Zach!"

"What? No. I let out–I mean I, um..." Dawn fidgeted with her fingers. "Let's just say I accidentally broke something of his. And I'm not sure if he found out yet."

"Huh?" Josie took a sip from her cup. "What was it? Was it expensive?"

She nodded. "You could say that."

"Well he's going to find out eventually whatever it is. So just tell him. It's not like he's going to break up with you over it."

"I think you're right. It's just..."

"Yo Dawn, Josie. What's up? You two down to watch a movie this weekend?"

Just then Trey took a seat at the table as Josie slid over. It wasn't long before the table was full, as Zach and Bria joined them moments later. The conversation quickly changed at that point, as the five of them discussed every topic from chemistry class to Christmas. At the day's end, Dawn wasted no time in heading to the V.A.S.E. meeting room. This was the most eager and determined she felt about departing on a mission since joining.

The vote on Thomas aside, Dawn desperately wanted to know what had happened to Axel. Nothing suspicious had occurred since he was freed, but it was her who released him, so she felt obligated to right that wrong. Moreover, it was an opportunity to make contact with Rain. It was unlike him to not call or text for multiple days and it had begun to worry her. Not surprisingly, Dawn was the first one to make it to the meeting room, beating Aria who walked in nearly ten minutes later.