Chapter 4- Night shift

6 weeks later

Caitlin was only doing the night shift becuase sherry had asked, she and Brain were celebrating there anniversary and they had done so much for her so it wasn't like she could tell them no.

The only nights the diner stayed open was on Wednesdays and Friday night's becuase that's when the miners worked late and alot of them had no wives or girlfriends to cook for them after a long day of work and microwave meals and takeaways weren't popular yet so the diner stayed open till 10pm.

At first she was nervous to take the night shift alone but she quickly realised the miners were too exshausted to start a fight and all they wanted was some nice food and convasation.

Everyone was out by 9:30 and they tipped her well, she was reading a book to pass the remaining half an hour, Caitlin was about to close up early and she had just been about to grab the keys to lock up when the bell chimed and she deflated in exhaustion then looked up to see Barry and Rosie walking in.

They were in the diner everyday some times for all 3 meals Caitlin didn't talk to them much and by now she knew there usual order even if she did silently object to the lack of vegtibles in Rosie's diet and the ammount of coffee that Barry consumed.

Rosie talked to her often asking her things like what her favirote animal was and she kept insisting that Caitlin did in fact talk funny but apart from that Caitlin didn't interact much with the pair of siblings sometimes the only words shared between them was there orders.

"Are you still open?" Barry asked

"Umm hum" Caitlin nodded and gestured for them to sit down.

Rosie seemed exshausted she was clinging onto Barry's hand and rubbing her eyes.

Caitlin poured Barty a cup of coffee before he asked and he barly mumbled a thankyou before he was gulping doen the brown liquid.

"Can I have a banana split?"

Caitlin pursed her lips and checked the time "it's late shouldn't you be asleep? I'm sure you have school tommrow?"

"I had a bad dream, I don't want to sleep anymore" she said quitly and fiddled with the napkin.

"We all have bad dreams" Caitlin said gently "but there only dreams they can't hurt you"

"There scary"

"I know"

"...I'm going to use the bathroom" she said quitly before slipping out of her seat.

Caitlin watched her leave and turned back to Barry when she was out of sight.

"I know it's late" he apolgised "and your probably tiered but I didn't- I don't know what to do when she..." he shook his head  "it doesn't matter I'm taking up your timw we'll be gone soon"

"It's okay" she said gently "we're the only ones here you can talk to me I don't mind"

He seemed conflicted for a few seconds before he spoke "you know doubt know what happened to my family, Rosie was so young she still is but she remebers I know she does" he shook his head to himself "I wish she didn't, I wish I could take it all away from her, she misses our parents and I can't do anything to help her I don't know what to do, she hates being left with nannies, she's failing in school and the nightmares are a regular occurrence, I'm stuck"

Caitlin pulled her bottom lip inbetween her teeth briefly before she started "well like you I don't know much about children but I do know that they need structure and I know your not her father but she needs a parent figure in her life more then she needs a big brother to buy her sugary desserts everyday"