Chapter 5- milk shake and fries?

I'm not sleeping tonight. It's GCSE results day tommrow.

They arrived at 4:30 which was a lot earlier than they normally came in for dinner in fact Caitlin was half way through her break.

She was sitting at the counter eating a burger and fries occasionally dipping a hee fries into her vanilla milkshake making sherry cringe whenever she caught her doing it.

"Hi Caitlin!" Rosie greeted overly cheery as she ran up to her 

"Hi Rosie did you have a good day at school?"

She nodded and climbed onto the chair next to Caitlin "Why are you eating shouldn't you be working?"

"It's my break" she explained 

"Oh who's going to bring me food then?"

"Sherry"

"Rosie stop bothering her" Barry said "sorry Caitlin"

"It's fine"

"Can we sit with Caitlin?" 

"That's up to Caitlin"

"Oh- I mean- yeah okay I don't see why you would want to though..." she trailed off as Rosie spun in the bar seat.

"I like you Caitlin" she proclaimed "Your nice"

"Thanks'' I like you to" 

"Caitlin is very nice" Sherry agreed coming to stand behind the counter "and hopefully she'll cover the night shift alone again on Friday?"

"Of course"

"You know I don't like how available you are all the time you should go out to make friends" she handed her a posted "go dancing"

Caitlin grimaced "I don't like dancing"

"I love dancing" Rosie grinned "bare can we go dancing?"

Barry glanced down at the poster "maybe next time"

She pressed her lips into a line and nodded.

Sherry took Barry and Rosie's orders  and Caitlin went back to eating her food she dipped a fry into her milkshake Rosie laughed.

"Ewww that's gross"

"No it's not" she smiled "it's nice" she said 

"No I have to agree with Rosie on this one" Barry said "that does look gross" 

Caitlin rolled her eyes "people in the 50s are so boring" she muttered 

"What do you mean?" Rosie asked

"Nothing" she muttered " do you want to try some?" She asked dipping the fray into the milkshake and holding it out to rosie but she shook her head.

Caitlin shrugged and popped it into her mouth "suit yourself"

"So do you have any plans this weekend?" Barry asked conversationally 

She was surprised he was talking to her without being prompted but she tried not to let it show.

"I'm working in the morning but in the afternoon I was going to try out that new pizza place"

"I heard its good there" Barry said approvingly 

"Are you going with your husband?" Rosie asked innocently

Caitlin raised an eyebrow at her "i don't have a husband"

"But your pretty, you can get one" Rosie said slowly like she didn't understand why Caitlin wasn't married

"I don't want one"