0 . 1 9

| E X P E C T T H E
U N E X P E C T E D |
•  •  •
0 . 1 9

     Jackson laughed aloud at a joke Brooks made, as he found himself not being able to take his eyes off of the now happy, and content curly-headed brunette

     Jackson laughed aloud at a joke Brooks made, as he found himself not being able to take his eyes off of the now happy, and content curly-headed brunette. As Jackson picked at his chicken, Brooks recited the line from the movie script.

Both boys watched intently on one of their favorite parts, just as Brooks leaned over, and stole a piece of chicken from Jackson's plate.

Jackson gasped, pushing at Brooks' shoulder lightly. "What the heck, B. You know how much I love orange chicken."

     Brooks shrugged, leaning his shoulder onto Jackson's, as he obliviously continued on with watching the movie, completely in the dark with how much their skin touching, was affecting Jackson.

     This was when Jackson's mind filled the brim with previous questions and concerns.

     But somewhere deep down, Jackson itched to ask those questions about what had happened the day before. Sure, he'd been slightly angry with Brooks for leaving with Blake Warner and his delinquent friends.

     But now, while seeing the previous sadness not returning to Brooks' eyes, he didn't bother prying, knowing it would get him a one way ticket out of Brooks' bedroom.

     Brooks turned to Jackson, a goofy smile sprawled our across his full lips that still slightly tasted like Blake's. "Why are you staring at me? Do I have rice on my lips?"

     Jackson chuckled, shaking his head, as he reached over, ruffling Brooks' tight curls. "My mom just texted," he lied, "she needs me home. Apparently, JuJu went to the restroom somewhere in Nancy's bedroom. Talk later?"

     He couldn't help feeling bad, even though it wasn't a total lie. His Golden Retriever, named JuJu had a nasty habit of using the restroom right in the middle of Nancy, Jackson's younger sisters bedding.

     Jackson leaned over, squeezing Brooks' shoulder in a silent goodbye, before the two made their way out of Brooks' bedroom, and down the circular staircase.

     Charles stood waiting below, his arms crossed and eyes waiting. "It's been nice seeing you, Jackson. Tell your father that if he's alright with it, we're still on for that game of golf this weekend."

     Jackson chuckled at Charles' words, which had Brooks forming bile in the back of his throat. "Of course, Mr. Sutton."

     Once the front door was closed behind Jackson, Brooks was once again left alone with the two people he hated most.

     When he turned to leave, and walk away, Charles caught his forearm tightly, a slow, yet slight smile sneaking up his lips. "Your mother and I are going away to a distant vacation tomorrow afternoon, and we won't be returning until the next event coordinating with the Mr and Miss Merritt Hills Ball."

     Brooks nodded obediently, trying to turn away from Charles once more, but the older man wasn't one to let go so easily. "And I expect you to be on your best behavior, as I would hate to call the dean at UCLA, and inform him of my son being unable to attend in the fall, due to unfortunate circumstances. Am I understood?"

     Brooks swallowed the lump conjuring into one in the back of his throat. "Yes, father."

     Blake swung at the bag handing from the ceiling, as Jeff held it to his body, catching every punch and kick Blake threw toward it.

     The two had been going at it for hours now, but Jeff's sparring hadn't been nearly as powerful, as the pounds Blake had been currently tossing in. Jeff wondered where his newfound anger was coming from, just as the night before, he'd seen fine.

     More than fine—happy.

     Jeff arched an eyebrow. "What the hell's wrong with you? You were fine last night."

     Blake ignored the guilt forming into his chest, as he sent one more punch. "I'm fine, now pay attention before I accidentally miss."

     Jeff rolled his eyes, continuing to hold onto the punching bag tightly, as his eyes wandered over to Meg, who sat silently beside a few of her friends, her eyes twinkling  Jeff's way.

     But when Blake looked over at her, his eyes narrowed, and he made a mental note to ask him about it later. They'd been fine before, and had something so horrible happened in the last twenty-four hours that everyone was suddenly in a bad mood?