0 . 2 1

| E X P E C T  T H E 
U N E X P E C T E D |
• • •
0 . 2 1

     Brooks shook his head insistently, trying his best to push at Jeff's shoulder, only to be shaken off

Brooks shook his head insistently, trying his best to push at Jeff's shoulder, only to be shaken off. Once he had accidentally opened his big mouth about his parents being on a trip, and him not being allowed to have company, they'd pushed their way in.

     He knew of what came next. The drinking, the drugs, Charles finding out and completely dismissing all of Brooks' hopes and dreams to get out of Merritt Hills, someway, somehow.

     He attempted to turn to Blake, only to be ignored, and brushed off.

     When Meg took out her cellphone, and began calling random girls and boys from their years at Merritt Hills High, Brooks swore that his life would be over, after this long, treacherous night.

     "No, Meg—stop!" Meg had simply ignored him, continuing with the pads of her thumbs, a snarky, knowing smirk on the lips Blake had detested just as much as the next guy.

     A hand landed on his shoulder, Jeff standing beside him, ogling Meg with a friendly smile. "Just go with the flow, little guy. Trust me, by tonight, you'll be having the time of your life."

     Brooks pushed at Jeff's arm surrounding his shoulder, almost at tears at the possibility of Charles finding out, making Brooks his number one target once more. And with Helena standing right beside him, watching as though she had no recollection of what Charles' abuse could do to a person.

     He wished that summer would end already. He wished that he could leave, without having a tie to his parents' lives anymore. But in a place like Merritt Hills, where it was entirely eat or be eaten. He needed his parents' reputation. And he couldn't help but think that maybe that was the only reason he had gotten into UCLA, anyway.

     But with that one look over at Blake Warner, and he knew that maybe that wasn't true at all. Because even with an absent father, and a workaholic, yet still poor mother—Blake was feared.

     Not because of his background, like Brooks' family, or maybe even Jackson's, but because of the front he put up.

     The front that Brooks now knew was a front, and wanted nothing more than to see it knocked down.

A/N : okay, not to be dramatic or anything, but I'm like, super excited to write the whole next chapter with the party and what not.