0 . 3 1

| E X P E C T T H E
U N E X P E C T E D |
•  •  •
0 . 3 1

     Blake clutched at the pillow set in his lap, as his heart worked into an overdrive, eyes never leaving the screen before him

     Blake clutched at the pillow set in his lap, as his heart worked into an overdrive, eyes never leaving the screen before him. Not many had ever found this out about him, but he was deathly, and severely afraid of horror movies.

     But every other Thursday night, he found himself watching the same one over and over again. But who knew? Maybe one of these days, he'd be able to watch that same movie, and not flinch—once.

     A knock echoed at his front door, in which had him jumping into the scarfed air, him groaning aloud at his inability to not flinch in a time like that. He stood from the couch, clutching the comforter in hand as he made his way to the front door.

As the door was swung open, he came face-to-face with Meghan, Jeff, and Mitchell, who'd all been smiling functionally, Jeff instantly leaning over to embrace Blake in the tightest hug he'd ever received.

While stumbling a bit, Meghan and Mitchell had let themselves inside, swiftly taking a once over the living room, in search of Gwendolyn, who coincidentally, had taken another night shift at Luanne's.

Blake had been only slightly disappointed, wanting to open the front door, and see Brooks. Although, maybe it was best it wasn't him. Because he had told Brooks to call him if anything bad happened—and he didn't. Which meant that everything had gone painfully well.

Painfully, due to his parents being Charles and Helena, of course.

Meghan had instantly began to let herself into Blake's kitchen, pulling the refrigerators door open, revealing that Blake had no snacks that she'd redeem good enough for her to eat. Blake could see the clear disgust.

"Ugh, Blake, you have like, no good snacks. What the hell am I supposed to eat, when I get the munchies?" Her question seemed logical to her, although irritating and snooty to Blake, who'd just been trying to eat healthy snacks, and watch horror movies all night.

Jeff slung himself into Blake's original placement on the couch, Mitchell plopping down right beside him. "What the hell is this? Is this supposed to be scary? Dude, this is nothing compared to that one movie Mitch and I saw last week."

"Yeah, it was insane, dude—"

"Guys, you need to go. I'm being serious. I'm waiting for a phone call, and that means you need to go." Blake's words were stern, as he spoke them out to three of his best friends. Although, they used to be his friends. Now, whenever around them, he'd rather be with Brooks, instead.

     He could feel it. He had had an odd feeling that things weren't alright with Brooks. And he couldn't risk being distracted from that, due to his friends' bad decisions and mishaps.

     "Oh, come on, Blakey. We're just trying to have some fun. And plus, Sutton's party was such a drag. Especially since the two of you disappeared half way through." Mitchell's words made Blake's skin crawl, as he so badly wanted to belt out that it wasn't any of their business.

     All he wanted to do was see Brooks, and spend the night beside him in his bedroom, again. He'd kill for another night like that.

     Just as he reopened his mouth to respond, his cellphone began to chime in a sound that he didn't recognized. Usually, the only calls he received were from Gwendolyn, Mitchell, of Jeff, excluding Meghan and her constant seductive voicemails.

     Despite Jeff being Blake's oldest friend.

     He reached out for his cellphone, before bolting to his bedroom, and slamming the door behind him. And with that, he pressed the green button. "Hello?"

     It was quiet on the other end of the line for a few moments, before Brooks' small and shaken voice signaled every alarm in Blake's system. "H-Hey, Blake. I'm so sorry that I'm calling you, and you don't have to come if you're busy, but—"

     "Brooks, come on, you know that no matter where you are, I'll be there."