Chapter 4: Unexpected news.

Alexander opens the door to a very miserable looking Seb accompanied by both his youngest children, Shaun and Bethany. He was definitely not expecting this.
"Seb? What are you all doing here? Why are you crying?"
Bethany and Shaun are oddly silent, their heads hanging and Seb just flops into Alexander's arms, sobbing.

He hugs him to try and comfort him and invites them all inside, they all enter the hall and Bethany and Shaun just quietly walk further into the house, their heads hanging in sorrow.

"She's gone, Alex... She's gone..." Alexander is still trying to make sense of it.
"What? Who is gone? What happened?"
Seb leaves his arms and looks at him bleary eyed.
"... Hadriana... She's dead, Alex..." Alexander's face falls, turning to sympathetic melancholy, he wraps his arms back around Seb and squeezes him.
"Gods... Oh Gods... I am so, so sorry..."
Seb tries to speak through sobs and sniffles.
"... It was so... Sudden... Unexpected... There was nothing wrong... And now... She's just... Gone... I'm broken Alex, I'm actually fucking broken..."

While Alexander tries to console Seb, Bethany and Shaun go into the dining room with forlorn faces. Eleanora, Logan, Luca and Sera see them and are immediately concerned, Eleanora asks.
"Beth? Shaun? What are you doing here?"
Just then, Bethany starts sobbing, Sera gets up quickly and wraps her into a hug, Shaun just sits down in the chair next to Luca. He's stone faced, not really able to speak. Sera tries to console her cousin.
"It's alright, Beth... I'm here for you... We all are..."
She can't say anything so Shaun does instead, his face is just an emotionless deadpan at the moment.
"... Mum's dead, Aunt Eleanora... My mum... Is dead..."

Bethany and Shaun

Bethany and Shaun.

Eleanora covers her mouth in shock and soon starts sobbing too, Luca and Shaun are within three and a half months of each other in age, Shaun is a little older. They're about as close as cousins who are separated by almost a thousand miles can be, he wraps his arm around Shaun's shoulder and soon Shaun just starts sobbing too. Logan just sits there, feeling sad and sympathetic but ultimately useless at this moment in time, he doesn't really know that side of the family as well as he'd like to, so he gets up and speaks to Sera as he walks past her.
"I'm just going to check on Dylan... I'm so sorry for your loss sweetheart, all of you..."
They all give him a sad smile and a nod in thanks, he kisses her cheek before he walks out into the garden, an empty feeling in his stomach.

Eleanora just sits in tears, then Alexander and Seb walk in both bleary eyed. She sees that Seb's usually bright eyes have dulled, he looks lost, empty. As Alexander sits back down to try and comprehend everything that had just happened, Eleanora gets up and Seb falls into her arms this time. They just stand in a peaceful but teary embrace for a few minutes, while the rest of the room mourns in silence.
She strokes Seb's hair and tries to console him.
"I'm so, so sorry, Seb..."
He speaks through the tears.
"Thank you... Gods it's so good to see you again... I just wish it were under better circumstances..."
They break apart, he has red, bloodshot, puffy eyes, she kisses his cheek before saying.
"Come... Sit down.... If it's not too painful, you can tell me what happened..."