Thirty-five

I took a huge step today and enter both of my stories in the Watty Awards 2019. I'm excite and nervous at the same time. If you haven't already, please read my other story, too.

Anyways, please comment what you think and vote. As always, I enjoy hearing from my readers so message me with any ideas or suggestions. You never know, the next chapter could be dedicated to you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, Abby," Brandon said as Abby and Mr. Becker walked into the waiting room together. "I thought Matt was going to pick you up from school. Did you walk here?"

"No, Mr. Becker gave me a ride," Abby explained quickly. "I was waiting for Matt to get off work and Mr. Becker offered to give me a ride," she continued to explain. She started going back to Brandon's office. "I'll be back in a minute," she said as she headed down the hall to Brandon's office. After placing her backpack in the corner, she pulled out her homework and walked back down to the waiting room. When she came back, Brandon was gone. She sat next to her teacher. "Mr. Becker, can you explain how to do this? I don't even know how to start."

"Sure thing," Mr. Becker said with a smile. He started explaining it to her when Brandon walked back into the waiting room.

"Abby, can you help me?" Brandon asked. Abby stood up and went with him.

"I will have Matt explain it to me," Abby informed Mr. Becker.

"I wanted you to do the same thing you did with Matt," he explained as they started walking down the hall. They walked down the hall together and into the exam room. Abby helped Brandon lay out the varying tools he would need. "I think I am ready if you want to go get him."

"Brandon is ready for you," Abby stated as she walked into the waiting room. Mr. Becker stood up and followed Abby down the hall.

"Good afternoon," Brandon greeted with a warm smile. He turned his attention back to the computer and the open file on the desk in front of him. "Take a seat in the chair for me, Mr. Becker."

"You can call me Jason," Mr. Becker said as he slipped into the leather seat before him.

"Okay then, Jason," Brandon said coming over to him with a pair of gloves and a mask on. "I'm going to lean the chair back," he explained as he pushed the button to start reclining the chair. Mr. Becker shifted uneasily in the chair and hesitantly opened his mouth. "Try to relax, Jason. I'm not going to do anything yet, just looking," he encouraged before he grabbed a mirror and pulled his cheek back. "Have you had a toothache or sensitivity?"

"I had a toothache a week ago, but it went away," Mr. Becker admitted timidly. "I haven't felt it for a while, thought," he added and shifted uncomfortably.

"There is a small decay spot back here," Brandon pointed out. He touched it with the end of a tool. "Is this the one?" he asked. Mr. Becker nodded his head immediately before rubbing his jaw. "Okay, I'm going to take an x-ray to get a better idea of how deep it is. It doesn't look to bad from the surface," he explained as he sat the chair up a little. "Open nice and big for me," Brandon instructed as he adjusted the bite-wing x-ray into position. He quickly took the x-ray before returning. He quickly pulled the x-ray up on the screen. "So, this is what we are dealing with right here," he said pointing to a small area of decay between two teeth. "The bad news is the decay as spread from one tooth to the next, so you technically have two cavities, but the good news is that they both are super small."

"Are you going to fix them today?" Mr. Becker asked nervously. He dug his thumb nail into his palm nervously.

"I can if you would like," Brandon offered with a warm smile. "Honestly, it shouldn't take very long at all. Do you want to go ahead and do that before I clean your teeth?" he asked. Mr. Becker simply nodded his head out of nervousness. "Okay, I'm going to put some numbing jelly on your gums and then I'll go get the materials I need for the procedure," he explained before he placed a cotton swab with numbing jelly in Mr. Becker's mouth. "Let that sit there for a few minutes and then I'll be back to give you an injection and start the filling party," he joked before leaving the room.

"Brandon is excellent at his job," Abby said softly. She could tell her teacher was nervous and wanted to help but really wasn't sure how to make him feel better. "He really can give a painless injection you just have to listen to him.

"Alright," Brandon said as he walked back into the room with a new tray of tools. "Your mouth should be starting to feel tingly now."

"Yeah," Mr. Becker mumbled softly.

"Okay," Brandon said putting on a new pair of gloves. He walked over and removed the swab from Mr. Becker's mouth. "Open for me," he said as he pulled Mr. Becker's cheek back and inserted the needled gently. "By the way, Abby, Matt's in the waiting room. He said that he wanted to take you somewhere. You can go now if you want. Have fun going wherever you go," he said as he pulled the needle out and placed it on the tray.

"Okay, I'll see you tonight at home, Brandon," Abby said as she walked out of the room and down the hall. "I heard there was a knight in shining armor to take me away. I don't see him. Do you, Matt?" she asked and smiled. "How are you doing today?"

"I'm good. How's my little crippled kid?" Matt asked with a smile. Abby stuck her tongue out before starting to pout. "I'm joking. Take a chill pill," he said with a smile. "You are looking pretty good on those. You've improved a lot since yesterday," he complimented. "Let's go. I have a surprise. I think you will like it," he said.

"I'm going to go get my backpack really quick. I'll be right back," Abby said before disappearing down the hall. "I'm ready to go now," she said as they started heading out to the truck.