: Chapter Eight: The Babysitter's Club :

this was one of my favourite chapters to write, i had a lot of fun with it. hope you guys enjoy xx

----

: chapter eight: the babysitter's club :

Somehow Diana looked both the happiest and most exhausted she'd been in awhile. She dragged her fingers against the bags under her eyes as if trying to smooth them out. This worked to no avail. Diana stood in front of the mirrors that lined the wall above the sinks in one of Hawkins high girl's restrooms. With a sigh, Diana took her eyes off her reflection instead she focused on her hands that she had begun ferociously rinsing. When she was finished she manoeuvred towards the dryer only to find it broken. She had just grabbed paper from a toilet cubicle when she heard the bell ring.

"Carol? You haven't heard about it yet?" Diana's eyes widened at the name of one of the girls that had just entered the bathroom. Carol? As in Tommy H's Carol? Diana pushed herself further into the cubicle, closing the door behind her. She much rathered the option of hiding in there than facing Carol's snide comments.

"You have to be joking? This is the best thing I've heard all day." Carol laughed her sinister chuckle as the two girls stopped in front of the mirrors where Diana had stood moments ago. Diana herself, sat down on the closed toilet seat, dropping her bag to the floor. "I swear it, heard it in the hall that Nancy Wheeler and that Byers creep ditched together the other day and haven't been seen since." Her friend confirmed from her source, the always reliable high school rumour mill.

"I love it. And after dumping Steve's ass at the Halloween party. Who knew Wheeler had the balls?" Carol snickered, Diana leaned forwards listening. Nancy and Jonathan? It was true neither had been around today but was everyone just jumping to conclusions.

"Serves Harrington right for climbing so far up her ass. He was whipped and got what was coming to him." Carol's friend was a major suck up, Diana concluded. She heard Carol's laugh echo through the stalls before calling on her friend to follow her back into the halls. It hurt Diana to hear them making fun of Steve like that but she knew Carol's opinion meant nothing to Steve anymore so why should it mean anything to her. Standing up from the seat, Diana wondered if Steve knew about what people were saying about Nancy and Jonathan.

Diana grabbed her school bag from its position on the toilet cubicle floor, hearing the rattling of her pill bottle as she did so. She had packed in again that morning, fearing to leave it in her room for her Mother to find. She had shared all her secrets, fears and thoughts to Steve last night, she had told him the truth about herself but yet it still wasn't the whole truth. She was still a fraud who once popped pills to give her energy to study and work her ass off but somewhere along the way she'd began taking them for nearly any given scenario. She was faulted, she was flawed but after talking to Steve the night before, she knew one thing; she didn't have to let them define her. Diana had used those little white pills for so long as a coping mechanism, she'd forgotten that if she tried hard enough she could cope on her own.