: Chapter Nine: To Be Just Living Or To Be Alive :

: chapter nine: to be just living or to be alive :

Diana had expected the adrenaline that herself and Steve had been filled with to fade away by the time they reached his house. Though as the two burst into his living room still brimming with laughter and an elevated sense of themselves, Diana knew she had been wrong. Immediately after their arrival, Steve had headed into the kitchen while Diana wandered around his living room not wanting to wind down from what she was feeling just yet. She had been surged with energy, an electric shock of feeling alive had shook her body and she didn't want to give up this new feeling just yet.

"Here, you want one?" Diana broke away from her observation of the living room turning around to meet Steve who had re-entered the room, this time equipped with four cans of beer in his hands. He outstretched his hand to Diana, offering her one as he came to stand beside her. Diana graciously accepted, giving her thanks before she returned to walking around the dimly lit room. Steve ditched the two spare cans on the coffee table before falling against a lounger, cracking open his can and taking a long hard drink from it, his gaze never leaving Diana as he did so.

"You're making me nervous, Sinclair. Why are you pacing?" Steve questioned, sticking out his index finger to point out her movements as if she wasn't already aware of them. "Is this about Billy's car cause I swear nobody saw us..." Steve began but was quickly cut off by Diana. "No, it's not about that." She informed, cracking open her own drink and taking a slug.

"I just feel so energized, so exhilarated. I don't want this feeling to end." She admitted, turning around to face him. Steve lay reclined on the lounge chair, watching her with raised eyebrows. "Who knew you were such the adrenaline junkie, Sinclair." Steve laughed, sipping from his can.

"I just want to live. I want to do something like tonight again, something crazy." Diana felt herself elevate with all the possibilities. 'My God', she thought, 'what has Steve Harrington done to me?' Steve followed her around the living room with his own quizzical gaze. "I just want to throw away all reservations and not think about all the shit stuff that's happened and just focus on the good. I want to be able to have fun without dissecting every little thing." She finished, knocking back a good percentage of her drink making Steve's eyes widen. He decided to push the two spare beer cans away from Diana's reach.

"Well, we are both, in fact, living." Steve countered, always the wise ass. Diana stood beside him giving him an unamused glare. Looking down at him, she sighed, fiddling with the half empty can in her nibble hands.

"Yeah, but I don't want to be just living. I want to be alive." Steve gazed up at her while her attention was elsewhere, feeling in awe of the girl. She was like some kind of sexy Yoda, he thought. Immediately,  he shook his head to get rid of any thoughts that could lead him to a dangerous place, to uncharted waters. Diana's eyes searched the room finally finding what she was looking for right outside the patio doors, illuminated by the night sky. Steve's pool. Leaving her drink of the coffee table beside Steve, she walked over to the patio doors, flicking on the outdoor lights, all while Steve watched her curiously.