chapter five: breakout

A/N: I've noticed that the format has messed up while I did some final editing. If there's any odd typos, grammar, or words squished together, I apologize! I think I got all of them, though.

* * * * *

The ride to the Pentagon was somewhat smoother than the ride to the Maximoff residence...mostly because Logan was driving. However, there were some setbacks. One was Peter, who had a hard time sitting still. The other was Charles.

Maureen could deal with Peter easily. She was used to his speedy, mischievous nature. However, Peter appeared to be quiet today. Probably because he was going to help them break into the Pentagon and get Erik out. Despite his knack into getting trouble, Peter knew when to sober up.

Charles, however, was a different story.

Maureen was calm and collected on the outside but on the inside, she felt like she was screaming. Seeing Charles brought up made memories and resentment, but Maureen had to put it aside for what they were doing. Being angry with him was not going to help them, it would harm them. Still, Maureen wanted to scream at him.

Put it aside, Maureen told herself. Remember why you're here. Why you agreed to this.

Because I have a soft heart?

"What are you doing?" Peter's quick words snapped Maureen out of her inner argument. She glanced at him before looking away.

"Thinking."

"It's what you always do," Charles said, rather snidely. Maureen scowled at him.

"You know what?" Maureen began. "I'm getting tired of your attitude."

"My attitude?" Charles scoffed. "How about you—"

"And we're here!" Logan interrupted, slamming on the brake pedal. He glanced around at each mutant. "Everyone know the plan?"

"Yes," Maureen and Charles said together, as Hank nodded his head.

"Yup," Peter had responded at the same time, before speeding out of the car.

"That boy is going to get us killed," Charles muttered.

"I have faith in him," Maureen said, before turning to Logan. "Are we ready?"

Logan smirked.

* * * * *

While Peter snuck into the Pentagon on his own terms, the rest of the mutants joined a tour on the Pentagon. Logan and Charles would sneak off, and Maureen would stay with Hank unless trouble rose.

Being on the Pentagon tour brought back memories to Maureen. She remembered coming here for a field trip sometime in middle school, just a few years before Charles and Erik had recruited her. Maureen was also sure that one of her other abilities as a mutant appeared while she was on the trip. Thinking back, she wondered if the premonition she had received then was about the events that were happening now.

Maureen found herself drowning out the guide's information. Most of it, she had already heard when she visited the first time. She was only here to help Hank if he needed it. So, in the meanwhile, she listened to the conversations of others while discreetly watching Hank mess with the security footage on his control device.

Suddenly, Maureen felt a vague sense of worry, confusion, and panic. She tapped Hank on his arm. When he looked down, Maureen nodded in confirmation.

"It's working," she whispered. "Hopefully they—"

Suddenly, Maureen flinched and gasped.

* * * * *

Logan and Charles. They were in a kitchen.