Prologue

"Little do you know, how I'm breaking when you fall asleep

when you fall asleep."

***

'Love fades, mine has.'

It was a slap in her face, the softness in Dimitri's voice was maybe intended to lessen the pain, but it did just the opposite. Tears burned in her eyes as she stared at him, her mouth becoming dry as she waited. Nothing. Nothing else, that was it.

All there had been, all that they'd lived through, came rushing by and was smacked right in her face. But she refused to let him know, or anyone else in the church, so she kept her face stoic and blank.

'Okay,' she told him.

And as she glanced at his eyes she saw the surprise flash by, the surprise of her icily indifferent voice and the emptiness that laid within her expression. Almost it seemed as if he was going to say something, but he refrained and she rose on her feet.

Her heart ached as she stepped outside the church's doors, the cold air drying the few tears she'd allowed to escape. If anyone had watched her while her expression changed from hurt, to indifference and then nothing but utter darkness, they would've stopped her.

They would've asked her if she was alright, fancied to watch a movie and maybe eat some ice cream. But no one saw how she lifted her chin and steadied her pace towards her room.

'Rose!'

She turned around swiftly, only to see Lissa running towards her, her eyes darker than they should be.

'I just heard from Dimitri's guards what kind of a scene you caused! In church of all places! You know what he's been through. Why can't you just let it be?! He's had enough to deal with, your "I'm your student and you need to start training me again" act is doing the opposite of helping! How could you be so selfish?!'

The words Lissa ranted and the accusations she spat slowly blurred as all the pain of the hits dulled the rest that were about to come. Rose felt her heart clench and while cutting of Lissa she whispered, 'Don't worry Princess Vasilisa, I won't let my sentiment come in the way of my duty as a guardian ever again.'

Darkness faded away from Lissa's aura as she heard her friend address her in the way she was officially required to. She paused as she wondered why she'd snapped at her best friend like that. 'I'm sorry Rose... the darkness it's just...'

Rose's eyes hardened, 'Don't worry about it, Princess Vasilisa. I understand.'

'Rose, come on! Don't call me that!' Lissa told her, a smile lingering on her lips.

Rose's lips, however, didn't even twitch, a guardian mask placed over her face. 'It is your title Princess Vasilisa, as your guardian I'm obliged to call you by your title.'

Lissa gaped as Rose walked away, a tear rolling down her cheek and a strong surge of pain stinging in her heart.