V

"They say love is pain, well darling,let's hurt tonight

well darling,
let's hurt tonight."
***

'You see that M, the one that marks all the walls?' a man with a beautiful British accent asked, as he pointed towards the wall.

The little girl nodded, 'It's pretty.'

Laughter escaped the man's lips, 'It is quite, isn't it? Do you want to know where it stands for?'

She clapped into her hands, 'Yes!'

'It stands for Mikaelson, our family name,' he told her as he pulled something out of his pocket, a cursive golden M on a golden chain, 'you should wear it with pride, my littlest wolf.'

The girls eyes widened as her hands trailed the beautiful necklace, the gold brightly shimmering in the light.

Rose was frantically panting as she woke up, her hands trembling and her throat dry, sweat coating her body as she shivered from the cold. She ripped the blankets off of her and jumped out of bed, tearing open her suitcase as fast as she could. Her hands digging through clothes and toiletries, until her hand clenched around a golden chain.

Thoughts raced through her mind as she lifted the chain, a cursive golden M dangling on its golden chain. The light that came through the window was harshly reflected by the gold and she squinted her eyes shut. What had her mother said? The M is the first letter of your fathers last name, that is all what I'll give you, Rosemarie. You don't need to know him, just know that he cares about you.

The chain slipped from her hands as she banged her head against the wall. It stands for Mikaelson, our family name. How the hell did she come up with a name so strange and unusual as Mikaelson? Apparently she was more creative asleep than she was awake. The only name with an M that she could come up with now, as she was awake, was Miller. Not really original.

She pushed herself on her feet and walked towards the bathroom, bending over the sink and splashing ice cold water in her face. Staring in the mirror she grew angry at the woman who stared back, pull yourself together, she sneered in her head.

Her fists clenched as she ripped herself away from her reflection and dressed in her Guardian uniform. She hesitated as the golden necklace caught her eye. And without a second thought she snatched it from the floor and fastened it around her neck, neatly tucking it in under her blouse.

Today was the day, she realized. It had been a week since Lissa told them about the big change in her life. And today Queen Tatiana would be officially announcing Lissa as her successor. Tatiana would tell the Royal Moroi that the young Dragomir would be trained until the day Tatiana decided that her reign had come to an end. And even though Lissa was not Queen yet, wouldn't be for a long time, the target on her back would multiply by billions.