VII

"I was younger then,take me back to when I,found my heartand broke it here

take me back to when I,
found my heart
and broke it here."
***

Rose had chosen a seat in between Alberta and Eddie, whom had now been formally announced as Lissa's new guardians, alongside her and Dimitri. Dimitri sat with his family and Tasha, while Rose, Eddie and Alberta sat closer to Christian and Lissa. In between were Adrian and Mia, glueing the two separate groups together.

Rose played with the golden M around her neck, her fingers tangling and untangling the chain. Alberta seemed to have noticed and turned to her with a kind smile, 'How have you been, Rose?'

She hesitated, 'Good... good... yeah, Court is nice.'

Alberta frowned, 'Don't lie to me, I've known you since you came to the Academy.'

'I haven't been sleeping so well lately, but it'll probably pass soon. I'm looking forward to be working with you,' Rose told her.

'So am I, Rose.'

'Hey! What are you two talking about?' Adrian cut in before sipping on his glass of wine.

'None of your business, Lord Ivashkov,' Alberta replied quickly, a smirk on her lips.

Adrian pouted, making the rest of the guests laugh. Tasha was, even though she'd been told down by Yeva for a couple of times now, still in a chipper mood. And she somehow managed to say the wrong thing at the wrong time, again.

'So, Rose wasn't really telling, but how awkward was it to have Dimka's student in your house?'

Rose flinched visibly and she stared at the Belikova's, whom seemed just as uncomfortable with the question. Except for Viktoria, whom said without any form of restraint, 'It was amazing, she was kind and she told us all these things about Dimka. She was really there for us, you know? And she really knew him, probably even better than you, Tasha.'

Paul nodded enthusiastically, 'Auntie Roza is really cool. She killed lots of Strigoi. One day I want to be just like her.'

Tasha shifted uncomfortably, 'Auntie Roza? You must really like her to consider her your aunt.'

Paul frowned, 'She is my aunt. She's with uncle Dimka.'

Rose felt like her heart had suddenly stopped beating as those words left his mouth. Her gaze flickered rapidly towards Dimitri, who's eyes held the same panic as hers.

'What do you mean, she's with uncle Dimka?' Tasha asked, her voice colder.

Paul shrugged, 'Like I said, with uncle Dimka. She loves uncle Dimka.'

'You're the other woman,' Tasha muttered as she turned to Rose, 'you're why Dimka wouldn't take the allocation, why he still won't take it.'

Rose swallowed thickly, her heart hammering inside her chest, her palms sweaty as she tried to pull herself together. Could she save this situation? No. Paul had said too much, or had he?

'Dimitri doesn't love me, Lady Ozera, I am not the reason he won't take your offer. Please remember that he's now a Guardian of the future Queen. It would be unwise to turn down such a great and honourable position.'

'You love him?' Tasha sputtered as she thought of Dimitri's words.

'Every girl has a crush on their teacher at one point in their life,' Rose deflected easily.

'True,' Lissa chimed in, 'mine was Mr. Collins. In the school I went to in Portland, he taught mathematics. He was really attractive.'

Lissa shot a quick look at Mia, for support, whom immediately understood that this was an emergency and didn't even ask questions. 'Mr. Paulson, history. I wasn't alone in that one though, I think half the school had a crush on him.'

'I went to Russia to tell his family about the tragic event. Of course they were glad that I told them, but they knew better than to buy the story I gave them. No school girl travels to the other side of the globe out of sympathy. Especially not me. So I had to confess about my silly crush, that's when Paul must've picked it up.'

The lies were out before Rose even realised and the relief that crossed Tasha's face told her that she'd bought it. Who knows what Tasha would've done had she found out about their illegal relationship.

'Oh, sorry,' Tasha muttered.

'Quite frankly, I don't enjoy being interrogated at what's supposed to be a celebration,' Rose sneered as she rose from her seat, 'so if you'll excuse me, I'd rather return to my room.'

'Since when do you have a faint British accent?' Adrian asked as Rose walked away.

She frowned, 'I don't, what are you talking about?'

'You do,' Adrian stated, 'you shouldn't watch so many British series. Before we know it, you're going to say "Oy mate" when I walk by.'

She rolled her eyes, 'I don't know anyone with a British accent and I haven't been watching any British series.'

She walked off, closing the door behind her, pausing halfway along the Dragomir wing. Reaching for her necklace. The man in her dream, he had a British accent.