IX

"By the grace of the fire and the flames;you're the face of the future

you're the face of the future.
The blood in my veins."
***

'But please, mom,' the little girl begged.

She was sitting on her fathers lap, eating pastries like it was her birthday, her mother staring at her in disapproval.

'Come on, Hayley, let our daughter celebrate life.'

Hayley shot a glare at the father, 'You're spoiling her, Klaus. How do you think she'll ever fall asleep with so much sugar in her system?'

Klaus grabbed one of the pastries himself, stuffing it in his mouth, powdered sugar all over his face. 'I'll stay awake with her.'

Hayley extended her arm towards the little girl and said, 'Rosemarie, come with me.'

Rose stared at the wall, feeling completely out of place. She looked around her, but nobody had noticed how she'd completely zoned out. She cursed under her breath as she realised that the nightmares were now also during the day. How could she ever protect Lissa, in the face of danger, when she could completely zone out at any given time?

Rosemarie, come with me. The woman named Hayley had said. A shiver ran down her spine, so she was indeed the little girl in her night terrors. What did it mean? That she longed for a mother and father? Then why did they come just now, she'd longed for parents whom cared about her her entire childhood?

'Rose!'

She looked up to see Ambrose, 'Hey, it's been awhile.'

'It surely has, don't take this the wrong way but... you look stressed, tired and-'

'Completely wrecked?' Rose asked, a smile on her lips.

'Well... yes.'

'I haven't been sleeping well lately,' she admitted, as she fidgeted with her hands.

He smiled a dashing smile, that reminded Rose of why the Queen was so fond of him, 'I could always take you to Rhonda, maybe she can tell you more about your nightmares.'

She shuddered as she thought of the last tarot card reading she'd had, even though hers hadn't meant much, Dimitri's had. 'Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. Those readings scare the shit out of me.'

'I thought you didn't believe in them?' Ambrose asked teasingly.

'That was until they came true,' Rose explained, a grim smile on her lips, 'and I didn't like it.'

The Belikova's appeared behind him and Rose frowned, remembering why she'd been here in the first place. Lissa has requested she'd be here, something about her plans for being queen. But why were they here or Ambrose for that matter?