Ch. 9

Chapter 9

Rain pitter patters on my back as I slowly peel my eyes open. My name is being called, a hand is patting my back as if to shake me from my impromptu slumber. Sand, like a sugar scrub against my skin, exfoliates my cheek as I'm pulled up.

"Nicole."

I tear my eyes from the sand, twirling around to face a mop of blond hair, green eyes, and sandy skin. "Blake?"

I sigh, paradise crumbling around me. Warmth crawls up my skin, my limbs regaining their motility, reminding me that fun time is over. Reminding me that I'm back to reality.

"That's my name."

I scan the area, a blue surf board the only thing in sight. "What are you doing here?"

He turns to face the ocean, our hair blowing in the same direction as a gust of wind rushes by. "Pretending that I'm out there surfing.  What about you? Are you OK?"

I chance a look at him, sensing genuine concern in his tone. I take in the light freckles that dot his nose and sigh, nodding. He smiles, turning back to face the ocean.

We sit in silence as the rain fades to a sprinkle, delicate drops falling to our skin. He gazes wistfully at the water, a small smile on his face as if he was replaying memories. Maybe, this was his paradise too. He probably didn't want to share it with me, but did nonetheless.

His eyes fall to my bloodied shoes. A little speck of red in the blue atmosphere. "Noah told me what happened. If I was there, I would've been shocked to my fucking core."

My eyes focus on the red, a stain contrasting the gloomy backdrop. "We were."

"Can I ask you something?"

I nod, eyes trained on birds swooping through the sky. They dip down, heading straight for the water before soaring back up and into the air.

"Why were you in the water?"

"Because I love it."

"I understand. I love it as well, but it's December."

"The cold doesn't bother me."

He nods, seeming to understand. "Well, Elsa, do you need a ride home?"

As if he was speaking directly to my legs, they begin to ache. But, I shake my head no as I pull myself up from the ground. Though Noah and his friends seem like good people, my mind knows that good people can become bad in an instant. "I'm fine, thanks."

But, even I have to admit, Blake got me to sit and chat with him. I didn't hate blonds, but after Josh, I'd never willingly sit down with another blond male other than Dag. But, I sat with him.

An urge comes over me as I walk away, causing me to turn back around. "Blake."

"Hmm?"

"Don't tell Noah I was here."

He stares into the ocean for a moment, before turning to face me once more. "Understood."

***

Screams, thumps, and rotten diapers is my welcome home. Brayden and Braylen stomp through the house, beating each other with different toys as Dag naps on the couch alone. I smile at the sight of the precious boy, walking over and pecking his forehead.

"Braylen!"

The destructive five year old, stomps over to me."What?"

"Where's Josh?"

"He went hom-"

A hot-wheel hits the back of his head, interrupting his statement. He yelps, grabs a ball, and launches it towards his twins face.

"You bitch!"

I sigh as the boys continue their fight, propping pillows up around Dag to shield him. I rub my fingers over my face, the TV blaring in the background.

Danielle stomps into the living room as I'm lowering the volume. "Were you out murdering people?"

I tilt my head back, eyes rolling. "Seriously? No, Danielle, I volunteer at a hospital."

"I was hoping you could murder someone with a house so you can get the fuck out of mine."

My fist clench and unclench as resentment seeps through my veins. I drop the remote and head upstairs to my room, ignoring her yelling and slamming my door.

I rip off my clothes, getting into the steaming shower. The scalding rain pours down on me. Smoke blurring my vision as the knots, still present, alert me of a hell-storm that is sure to come.

My heart leaps when my phone dings, breaking me from my thoughts. I draw the curtain back, grabbing the device and bringing it with me into the heat. With my back facing the water, I open to see a message from Camry.

I just heard what happened. I can't believe you would be so reckless! I thought you were smarter than that Nicole.

What? My stomach coils in confusion. Did she think I did it? Did he blame me?

My phone drops onto the floor mat with a thud. The scalding storm burns the skin on my back as the smoke clouds my perception. My trembling legs step from the shower, wobbling through the world around me.

I quickly dry myself, throwing on some pajamas, and send Noah a message for the first time.

Did you hear anything about Dr. Marsh?

Five minutes go by without an answer. The world sways around me as I make my way to my bed. The need to sit down is heavy, another five minutes and my brain would force me to call and ask myself.

My phone dings once more. I hope to myself, that it's Noah, but Camry's name flashes across the screen. As if the day couldn't get any worse, my eyes lock to the screen, soaking in the news.

How could you be so reckless? Now look at this. -Camry

A petition.

A petition to get me cut from the program.

My eyes widen, stomach tightens. Both hands jerk to life, trembling as if I was naked in an arctic forest. My heart thumps, pulses, in my ears. A dull ache rises to my temple as the words burn through my eyes.

I jerk up from my bed when another text comes through. I watch as Noah's name pops up onto the screen. The world around me relaxes, my hands cease from trembling.

As I cease from consciousness.