Ch. 24

Chapter 24

My eyes latch onto the hazy stains that cover Noah's otherwise smooth features. His eyes are bright as he grins at something Cherry says as she stands next to Blake, who stands across from Camry. I wonder if her eyes know the suffering that dwells beneath that smile.

The wails of a plum-face infant mirror the cry of my inner being as Camry's eyes lock onto mine. Her rose pink nails gloss in the light as she waves me over, a large grin on her gracefully sculpted features.

"Just the person I was looking for! Long time, no text." My stomach twists as she smiles a knowing smile. "But, that's OK, I got the message."

The wails of the infant grow louder as my stomach spins into knots. My eyes try and search hers in hope that I'll find just what message she received, what message I gave. But, she just smiles moving her hand as if she were showing Blake, Noah, and Cherry off in an auction.

"I was just inviting them to my birthday dinner tomorrow! You have to come, Nicole!"

Cherry chirps up, her arms clasping onto Blake. "Yes, Nicole, you have to come! Me and Blake have already accepted the invite, Noah too."

Blake sighs. "Yes, we did."

My lips twitch as I spot Cherry kick him from the corner of my eye. I part them as I prepare to accept the invitation on behalf of Blake's pained expression, but my eyes snap to Camry's hand rubbing her poison into Noah's shoulder. And words do spew from my mouth, words of rejection to a birthday party I no longer want to attend.

"I don't know, guys. I might not be able to come."

Noah pouts, moving towards me as Camry's hand falls from his shoulder. "Please, it won't be a party without you."

"Yeah, Nicole, my party requires you to be there. I won't have fun if you don't come."

I furrow my brow as she mirrors Noah's pout. I wonder how she survived every other party I was never invited to or how she had any fun on her birthday without me, seeing as I was never there. I wonder how upset she was that I didn't come to last year's Christmas party that she didn't invite me to. I could only imagine the poor thing drying her tears with one hundred dollar bills in agony as her parents wrapped her in warm blankets and showered her in love and affection.

"Seriously, all I'll do is sit around watching while other people have fun."

Noah drapes a heavy arm over my shoulders. "I'm not gonna let that happen."

"Yeah, how is that?"

Blake snorts, flicking his nose once before shaking his sandy waves. "He's gonna be so far up your ass, you'll realize how much of a pain he is."

"Wow, Anderson, you described it perfectly."

"Thank you. I try."

"Fine, I'll come."

"Yay, thank you, Nicole!" Camry squeals, clutching me in a firm squeeze.

My arms wrap around her torso, squeezing her for a second before I pull away. Her eyes lock onto mine, a small smile on her face as she nods and backs away. I send a small smile back to her, the harsh thought that once plagued my mind now plaguing my stomach with regret.

"I'd miss out if I missed one of your parties, Cam."

Before she can respond, Henna calls her name, waving her over and she strides away, sending me one last glimpse. My eyes linger on her for a second, her behavior a puzzle of ten thousand pieces that I never can piece together. And, each day that we're friends, she adds more pieces for me to stress over.

"Damn, that sexual tension."

Noah's arms grasp his sides, bruising no doubt sending pain through his body as he chuckles at Cherry's quip.

***

"Alright guys, Camry was needed somewhere else, so it's just us today. We have a six year old with a broken arm and her mother claims her stomach is bruised up pretty bad. We're here to take a look at her stomach. Orthopedics has already assessed her arm. Are you ready?"

I can't help the cool flow of relief that washes through my body when he mentions that it's just us two. "Yes, sir."

"Good, we need to keep her as calm as possible."

He pushes open the door, revealing a tiny little girl with curls similar to mine, clutching a small dinosaur in her bed. A young blond woman sits beside her holding a princess doll with purple hair. Her head pops up as we enter and she locks eyes with me.

The similarities that radiate through me and the little girl, trap me in my mind, flooding me with what could of been. My mother would hold my hand while I whined about a splinter, telling me how much the doctor would take care of me. It would be a warmer comfort than yanking it out, breaking tiny chips deeper into my hand.

Even now, with Camry throwing puzzle pieces my way, she'd calm me and help me join her together. Maybe then we'll be real friends. She'd help me figure out my relationship with Noah, the one person I desperately need her to like. She could hate everyone I know, but Noah is apart of me now. He's something everyone has to accept, splinters and all.

He'd be respectful, filling her in on all the drama that goes on in our lives. She'd help him, try to feed him, both of us, some of that warmth that was stolen from us at a young age. Even the siblings I never knew I had would help me. I know now that just because she's gone now, doesn't mean she's gone forever.

"Raine?"

Noah's words snap me to him, then back to the little girl. "I'm so sorry. I was just thinking about how cool that dinosaur looks. Where'd you get it from?"

"Well, my dad got me this for my birthday."

"That's so cool! What's your name? My name is Nicole."

"Alyssa, Alyssa Pope."

"Alyssa, honey, they're gonna take a look at your stomach."

Her glossy eyes widen as they stare into mine, her tiny hands compressing the dinosaur. "Nicole, I'm super scared."

I smile, pulling a chair next to her. "You don't have to be afraid. Everything will be OK. You want to know why?"

She nods, her little curls falling into her eyes. And as her mom pushes them behind her ears, my grin grows a little stronger.

"Because, you have your mommy right by your side."

And soon, so will I.