Ch. 28

Chapter 28

My nails bite into my lip as my finger presses into it. My eyes graze from dress to dress, nothing standing out. Truly, after an hour of searching, I just want the damn thing to stand up and pick me out.

I can already picture Camry dressed in something bold, something gorgeous that would hug her tiny waist so that if anyone else would stand next to her, her hourglass figure would reflect nothing but mediocrity back onto them. I sigh, plopping down onto my bed, the three dresses wrinkling underneath me.

My fingers twist around the ruffled straps of a floral red dress as my phone dings beside me. Cherry's still face fills the screen, before I can answer the message, and I slide my finger across, her face now moving as she smiles.

"Wow, nice dress."

I jerk up, holding the red dress by its straps. "Which one? This one?"

"Hell yes." She looks towards the ceiling, a faraway look in her eyes. "You'll look amazing in that with your curls tied in a bun at the back and I have these pretty gold earrings. I can see it now."

"What kind of shoes?"

"Some nice gold heels, maybe." She snaps her gaze back to the phone, pointing a pencil in the camera. "Anyways, I've just sent you your mother's address. It was eas-"

"Cherry!" I scream and her eyes widen.

"Oh my God! Did I do something wrong?!"

"No! Hell no!" My fingers wobble around the phone. "You did everything right and I don't know how the hell I'm going to repay you."

She actually did it. I knew she would try her best, but I thought that was something that could get you fired. It probably is, but she still risked it for me so I could get the chance to meet my mother. I'll have to give her a basket of puppies every day for the rest of my life to repay what she's done for me.

"Repay me by making Noah happy."

I smile, her request one that I'm eager to do. "I will, I promise. Speaking of him, I need to tell him!"

"See you tonight! Wear that dress!" She says before hanging up.

My fingers race against the keyboard as I relay my excitement to Noah in a series of typos and exclamation points. His message comes through just a speedy as mine, not a typo in sight.

I can come pick you up right now.

My gaze lingers on the dress laying across my lap as my fingers try to comb through the tangled forest that is my hair. Looking half presentable would take more time than I have and when I meet her I need to look my best. Camry could get a half decent Nicole but not my mother. She deserves only the best.

Thanks, but lets get through this party first.

Don't worry, it's going to be fun.

If it's not I'm going to drench you.

Looking forward to it ;)

***

My finger slides over the small flowers that dot the red fabric of my dress as I lean against my front door, waiting for Noah's car to rattle it's way down the street. A breeze rushes by, swaying the strands at the front of my face, the rest protected in a low bun at the base of my neck.

Light glares into my eyes as the familiar rumble of Noah's vehicle slows in front of the house. I roll my lip between my teeth as he steps from the car, red dress sleeves pulled to his elbows. His eyes ascend my figure, twisting my stomach into fiery knots when his lips lift into a grin.