Part Two

It was late, and Lucy was walking home under the street lights like usual. Her hair was messy from the day of training to be a guard for the queen.

She had a bag with some groceries in it, and her other hand was in her pocket. The day was cold, as winter was drawing near.

She unlocked the door to the house and walked in, hanging her coat on the coat rack. She set the groceries in the kitchen and began to put them away. Emmet did not greet her. It was midnight, but even now he would wait to sleep for her to come home.

"Maybe today was stressful for him. Being a construction worker isn't exactly a forgiving job." She thought out loud. She finished and walked into their bedroom. Emmet was asleep at his desk. She could tell, he had been crying.

She stared, worried. She then saw his note. She picked it up carefully, as to not wake him.

Dear Lucy.
   I know I've messed up. I've messed up a lot. I almost ruined everything between us and the entire universe. You are my world and I almost destroyed it. I'm sorry. I'm sorry so so sorry. I wasn't grown when I needed to, and I wasn't kind when I needed to. I messed up. And I don't know why you still care about me... But... You know, I guess I should say that I don't deserve you. I really don't. I can't tell you how I feel though. Cause if I do I don't know what would happen. I can't tell anyone, I don't deserve pity, do I? Ever since I met you I knew you were the one I needed. And God, it was painful when I knew I couldn't have you. Yet... I got you anyways. You came to me and left someone obviously better than me. What did I do to deserve you? I love you Lucy.

Emmet

Lucy teared up reading the letter. She looked over to Emmet, who was sound asleep. She hugged him softly. "Emmet..." She then got him a blanket and set it over him.

He smiled softly and held the blanket. Lucy sighed. She looked to him. "I'll make you feel better. I promise." She said. She then noticed. There was a crumpled up note in the trash.

She picked it up and opened it.

Dear Rex.

She stared. Those two words were all she needed to read. "Oh Emmet..." She felt herself tearing up as well. "How have I not noticed?" She asked herself.

"You're so sad, but you don't tell me." She said, as if speaking to him. "..." She stayed silent for a moment, just watching him.

"I'll make you happy again. I promise." She vowed. "Starting tommorow." She said, sitting down in bed, then laying down to fall asleep.

Lucy awoke in a maze. "Emmet??!!" She called. She looked around, but found nothing. Everything but her was black and white. She then found Emmet. He was crouched in the corner.  "Emmet??" She asked, setting her hand on his shoulder. He turned, and smiled. "Bye Lucy." He said. She jumped. "Emmet? No no, you're not going anywhere." She said. Suddenly, the ground beneath her love began to crumple. "Emmet!" She grabbed his hand as he dangled over the edge of pitch black death. "Lucy, let go." He demanded. "No! I won't! I love you Emmet! I'm not quitting on you!" She exclaimed. All sound disappeared. He shut his eyes. "Liar." He mouthed, and dropped into the darkness. Lucy screamed, but no sound came out.

Lucy awoke, and looked to her side. Emmet was laying in bed with her. She sighed and closed her eyes.