Chapter One

I walked back to the car and grabbed the hair band that was around my wrist to pull my hair into a quick messy bun.  When that was done, I took the second huge suitcase from the back of my Honda.  I also took the duffle bag out of the back seat and lifted it over my shoulder.  I walked inside and dumped them onto the tile kitchen floor.  I went outside and took the backpack that contained my laptop and a few other electronics from the front seat and then locked the car and closed the garage door.  I carefully set my backpack down on the counter and took out my laptop.  While it warmed up I got a bottle of water out of the fridge, where I had put the very small amount of grocery items I bought, all of them liquids.  One more thing I might have forgotten to mention-vampires can eat and drink human food.  The food doesn't taste the same (It's really bland and cardboard-y), but all liquids taste the same as they did before the transition into undead.  I checked my email and saw there was a message from Liam.  Liam was the vampire who found me and helped my through the transition.  He had quickly taken on a fatherly/older brother-like role in my life, and it made me happy.  My dad always seemed to disappoint me in some way when I was growing up.  I never had the best relationship with him, but Liam was different.  He seemed like he would always be there for me and happy to help.  Part of the reason I ran was so that he wouldn't get hurt, or well, I hoped he wouldn't.  Liam has been around for almost three hundred years, so he knows how to survive.  I clicked on the message to open it.

       Rosie,

       I know that you're 'on the run' and all, but will you at least tell me if you're okay?  Don't worry about me, and yes I have to tell you that.  I know you will.  But girl, be careful.  Remember what I taught you.

           -Liam

I wrote a quick reply to him.

       Liam,

       I'm doing okay.  I've got a house, and a car, and some other stuff.  I will worry about you if I want to.  I want to tell you not to worry about me, but I know you too.  Same to you - be careful.  Keep your eyes and ears open.

             -Rose

I turned off the laptop and explored my house a little more.  It was a quick sell, I offered a little above listing price and it closed within a day.  The keys were under the doormat when I arrived.  The one thing I was the most grateful about was that the house came fully furnished.  I had a dining table, a couch and coffee table, a small TV stand (but no TV), and two queen size beds.  One was in the master, and one was in the guest bedroom.  I also had a washer and dryer, which was nice.  The master bedroom was a fairly good size, as was the guest bedroom.  When I looked at the bed I realized something.

“Oh.  Yeah,” I said out loud.  I needed to get some sheets.  Vampires needed maybe four hours of sleep a week in order to function normally, but if we go without sleep for too long, just like a human, we will crash at some point and sleep until our body decides it is rested.  I looked out the window in the room into the backyard.  The previous owners had obviously put some work into it.  There were some nice flower beds, and the grass was a lush green with no bald spots.  There was a big tree near the back that had a small bench under it.  All in all, I loved the house.  It was perfect for me.