Chapter Four

The weekend passed by pretty fast.  I went back to the Wal-Mart where I met Ryder and River, and got some school supplies; the usual notebooks, paper, a binder or two, pencils and pens, and a few folders.  I also picked up a new backpack - one for just school supplies and homework stuff.  I made sure to sleep on Saturday, and even a little on Sunday so I would be fully rested for my first day of school.  Before I left for school I went into the bathroom and stared at myself in the mirror.  I looked so pretty, without trying, or any makeup.  Sometimes I hated looking so… perfect all the time.  All I did this morning was take a shower and brush my hair.  My lashes already looked like I had mascara, and my skin was perfect.  Another upside to being undead, I guess.  I mentally prepared myself for all the stares I might get today, some for being the new kid, and others for my looks.  When I was human I didn’t look like this.  I had pimples like every normal girl.  I had bad hair days.  But, being a vampire, my body is made to draw people in and make them think I’m not a threat, that I won’t hurt them.  I grabbed my new simple, unassuming black backpack, and shoved the iPhone I bought (under a fake name, of course) in the front pocket along with an extra house key. 

I left the house early in order to get to the office and get my schedule.  When I got to the school, all I saw was a big, red brick building.  It was two stories high, and had a flag out front like most schools do.  I parked in a spot near the front doors, thinking that I could move later if I needed to.  When I opened the doors and walked in, my senses were overwhelmed, especially my nose.  I could smell at least one hundred different perfumes and colognes, all of them mixing together.  I could smell the cleaners the janitors must have used.  Then there was the underlying aroma of sweat and dirty laundry that all schools seemed to have, no matter what.  The fluorescent lights hurt my eyes with how bright they were and how sensitive my eyes were.  While I was living with Liam during my transition, and a little while afterward, he had taught me how to manage all the things that I was picking up with my supreme senses.  I followed through the instructions like he had taught me.  First was smell.  I took in a deep breath, held it, and then let it go, repeating that a few times.  Next was sight, I looked up near the light for ten seconds, looked away, and repeated, getting closer to the actual light bulb each time.  The sounds weren’t bad yet, so I decided to leave that for later.  Nothing else was bugging me so I looked around for some type of direction toward the main office.  Finally, I found a sign that pointed me in the right direction.  

Within a few minutes I had found the office.  It was painted a light gray-blue color, and it didn’t look too bad.  There was a plump auburn haired woman sitting behind a counter-desk-thing that took up most of the room.  I walked up to it and saw the nameplate in front of her said Mrs. Summers.  When I approached, she smiled at me.

“What can I do for you, honey?” She asked.

“I’m Rose Michaels.  The new student,” I said.

“Oh!  Yes, I have your paperwork right here.” She handed me a small stack of multicolored papers.  At a glance I saw the generic allergy, parent contact info, and vaccinations forms.  “If you can just have your mom or dad fill these out and give them back to me that would be great.  Okay, sweetie?”

“Yes, that’s fine,” I said as I looked through the papers.  I took a glance around the room, seeing that it was empty.  No witnesses.  I leaned forward, which took Mrs. Summers’ attention away from the computer she had been looking at.  Before she could speak, I made my move.

“You have all the information you need,” I spoke in a soothing voice, compelling her.  “You already have my parents contact information and anything else that could possibly be needed, is that right?”

“Yes,” she said, her voice had a dreamlike quality that all humans got when they were compelled.

“Good,” I said.  “And because you have that information, all you need to give me is my schedule and the things I need to get to class.”  With those words, she snapped out of the compulsion and gathered the papers I needed.