Chapter Fourteen

The next day I went through my schedule like normal.  I saw Ryder in English, River in History, all of them at lunch, and Jason in Math.  I passed Seth and Cameron in the hallways sometimes, but I didn’t have any classes with them.  Right before school let out for the day Ryder approached me. 

“Hey,” he called out to me in the hallway.  “I talked to my mom, and she would love for you to start working for her.  She said she could use more help in the bakery.  She asked, and I quote, ‘When can she start?’”

I smiled and said, “I’m free anytime unless you guys want me to do something with you.  I get my homework done pretty fast, so I can go into the bakery after school gets out…”

“That would be great,” he replied.  “River and I were going to go over there after school anyway, it’s on the way to Seth’s house and we wanted to pick up some cookies.  Cameron would never forgive us if we passed up chocolate chip cookies from our mom.”

“Cool.  Are you guys training again?”

“Yeah, we go over to Seth’s house almost every day after school - he’s the closest to the facility.  Maybe we can sneak you in sometime soon.  If I remember correctly, one day this week we have a free session where we’re on our own.”

“That would be really cool,” I exclaimed.  “I’ve been curious since you guys told me.”

“Awesome.”

We parted ways and then the bell finally rang.  I was starting to get used to the sounds; they didn’t seem as loud.  I got into my car and followed the black motorcycles into the main part of town. 

¥¥¥¥

We parked in front of a bakery called Cakes, Cookies, and Other Tasty Treats!  It was a small two story tan brick building.  The upper floor had a set of French doors and a balcony with some tables and chairs on it.  Next to the entrance there were more tables and chairs for people to sit and eat.  The inside had some regular tables and chairs as well, but there were also leather couches and glass coffee tables, and fabric covered loveseats.  On the wall there were some beautiful black and white pictures of the town and people who lived here. 

There was a huge glass container that held every type of sweet imaginable, there were amazing cakes, cupcakes, cookies… there was even a candy bar on the far side of the room.  When we walked in Ryder and River both yelled out a hello, and I followed them into a back room where there were dozens of machines working to create more of the treats that were on display. 

“Rose!” Mrs. Anderson sped over to us and gave me a big hug.  I smile at the action and wrapped my arms around her.  I was getting used to the fact that she was a touchy-feely person. 

“Hi, Mrs. Anderson.”

“What?” River asked, pretending to be insulted.  “We don’t get a hug hello.  I’m starting to think you like Rose better than us.”

“Yeah, Mom,” Ryder interjected, smiling at her.  “What’s wrong with us?”

“Nothing.  I just like her because she isn’t my daughter.  Here’s a secret I’ll let you in on:  when you have a teenager, you like everybody’s child but your own.  Or at least, that’s how I feel.”  She walked over to them and gave them each a hug and ruffled their hair.  As they were fixing it, she said, “Was that better?”

“Much, thanks Mom,” they said together as they each gave her a kiss on the cheek.  I couldn’t help but smile at the interactions between them. 

“So,” Mrs. Anderson said, “I hear you want a job.”

“Yes, ma’am,” I said, smiling at her.