Chapter Twelve

When I got home I tapped on the number Liam called from earlier and held my phone to my ear as it began ringing.  With a slight click the lines connected and I started talking.

“Did you trace me?” I asked.  I needed to know first thing.  If he did, there was a good chance I would hang up on him, even though he already had the area I was in.

Liam was silent, and I could hear the static that all phone calls had in the background.  He let out a loud sigh before he replied.  “Yes, I did.  At least this way I know where you are so I can help you if I need to.”  At least he sounded partially contrite for tracing me while we talked when I was at school.

“You do realize the whole reason I left and went into hiding was to protect my ass and yours, right?”  I huffed with frustration.

“I can handle myself.” As he was speaking I heard a loud blaring noise that heightened my suspicions.  It sounded like a car horn. 

“You’re driving here, aren’t you?” I asked him with a groan.

“What?” he asked.  “No… of course no- yes,” he sighed again.  “I just feel like you should have someone you trust close by.  In case you get into trouble.”

“No,” I said.  “You can’t come here.  Did you forget the part where my friends are vampire hunters?  And, in case you hadn’t noticed, you, my friend, are a vampire.

“So are you, Rosie-girl.” There was a shuffling and then I could hear him clearly again.  “I won’t stay in the town.  I’ll stay in the next one over.  That way, you can still visit me often-which I expect you to, and we can go hunting together.”

I knew a lost cause when I saw, or well, heard one.  Liam wasn’t going to give up coming and living nearby.  “Fine,” I relented with a groan.  “But, if by any chance you meet my friends, and I hope not because they will probably recognize your power level, then you will introduce yourself as my older brother.”

“Really?” he asked.  “Your older brother?”

“We’re too close to be cousins, plus the pale skin… and you in no way look old enough to be my father or my uncle.”

“What about my accent?”

“I told them that you did a foreign exchange program and loved Ireland so much that you stayed.  Your accent is fainter after three hundred years, so it could be just from living there and picking up on the dialect.  I know it’s far-fetched, but I was making it up as I went.  I thought it was pretty good for on the spot.”

“Did you tell them my shoe size and my height, too?”  He asked me sarcastically.

“Liam,” I said.  “Now is not the time to be condescending.  Plus, it’s all your fault.”  I was going to continue harassing him about coming to Winston Heights, but my doorbell rang.  I kept the phone by my ear and looked out the window to see Ryder and River on my doorstep.

I opened the door and waved while pointing at the phone next to my ear.  I beckoned them inside and covered the receiver (not that it would help) and told them I was talking to Liam and to have a seat.  I walked into the kitchen and spoke to Liam.

“Hey, I should go, two of my friends came over,” I said casually, as if they were not able to hear our every word.

 “The boy friends?” Liam grumbled.

“Yes.  Li, don’t be rude.  They are the only friends I have here.  Their names are Ryder, River, Cameron, Seth and Jason.  You big bully, now I know you’ll find a way to torture them just like you do me.” I held the phone between my shoulder and chin as I got a bottle of water from the fridge.