Chapter Three

River and I talked a bit more as we waited for our turns in the line.  We had no interruptions from Ryder other than a few snorts and scoffs.  Each time that happened, River gave his brother a look.  Finally my turn came up and I checked out.

 “That will be forty-one fifty-three, sweetie,” said the lady checking me out.  Her name tag said her name was Olivia.  I took fifty dollars from my wallet and handed it to her.  After about a minute I got my change and my bag.  I waited for River (and Ryder) to check out so that I could walk out with them.  They were the first people I met, and they were my age.  Granted, one of them was a huge prick, but still.  River paid for his wire and wrench and walked over to me. 

“Thanks for waiting,” he said.  “You didn’t have to.”

“I wanted to,” I smiled at him.  “You were the first person I met here.”

“Hey,” Ryder said.  “You met me first.”

“Fine,” I sighed.  “The first non-asshole I met here.” I gave Ryder an over-exaggerated mock smile.  “Happy now?” I asked him.

“Ecstatic,” he gave me the same smile back.

We walked out of the doors and into the mid-September heat.  I felt my exposed arms sting as they started to burn when the sunlight hit them.

“How can you stand wearing that jacket?” I asked River. 

“It provides protection from the wind,” he pointed toward the Harley’s I parked next to.  “Those are ours.  The jackets protect our arms from the wind, and we have gotten used to wearing them.”

“Ah,” I said to him.

“Hey,” Ryder tapped River on the shoulder.  “Look.  Someone parked next to us.  That’s a first.”

“That would be me,” I said with a small smile.  “It was an empty spot near the entrance.  I wasn’t going to pass that up.  Why does nobody park near you?”

River leaned closer as if he was going to share a really important secret.  I tilted my head to humor him.  “People around here are a little scared of us.  That or they don’t like us.  There are several of both.” He whispered to me.

“If Ryder is as nice to them as he is to me, I can see why.”  I walked to my car and unlocked it, putting my plastic grocery bag in the back.  I looked and saw that River was putting his bag in a backpack that was sitting on the bike.  I guess if people were scared of them, they wouldn’t risk taking something of theirs.  I waved before I left the parking lot and went on my way home.

¥¥¥¥

I was driving down my street when I looked in the rearview mirror and saw two black motorcycles behind me.  Were they following me?  I pulled into my driveway, and the motorcycles went past me into another driveway two houses down.  With my heightened sight I indulged myself and watched their muscles ripple under their clothes as they pulled their helmets off.  I also admired the way their butts looked in their jeans.  Hey, I’m still a teenage girl, and although my hormones aren’t “active” anymore, I still remember what it felt like when they kicked in, and these guys were really blessed in the looks department.  It was unfair to everybody else.  I knew they weren’t vamps because all vampires give off some sort of energy that other vampires are able to feel in the air, but they challenged even vampires in the area of appearance.  That was saying something. 

I went inside, grabbed another water bottle from the fridge and then put the new sheets on my bed.  The purple didn’t really match the light yellow walls, but I didn’t care.  I could always paint later.  Besides, I was the only one staying in the room.  I wasn’t planning on having any overnight visitors at all, let alone soon.  I had just settled down on the couch to read my new book when the doorbell rang.

“Hel-” I started to say, but I was surprised when I saw River on the other side of the door, “Oh.  Hi.  Um… How are you?” I asked, somewhat uncomfortably.

“Hi,” River shifted on his feet for a second before he held out a basket that had cookies, some coupons, and I think there was a jar of jelly in there.  I was sad I would throw the cookies away, they looked really good, but I sure wouldn’t eat them.  Everything I ate tasted like cardboard.  Not that I’ve eaten cardboard before.  It’s just an assumption based on what the food tastes like.  “My mom wanted me to give this to you.  She’s the head of all the little committees and stuff like that around here.  It’s a ‘Welcome to the neighborhood’ basket.”

I took the basket from him and replied, “Thanks.  That’s really sweet of her.”  We stood there awkwardly for another few seconds before I spoke again.  “Would you… like to… come in?” I practically forced the words out.

“Sure,” River gave me another smile and walked past my extended hand into the living room.

“Keep in mind, I just moved in today,” I said with a smile as I brushed a few strands of hair back from my face.

“When are you starting school?” River asked.  “Well, I assumed you’ll be starting school.  You said that you’re seventeen, and unless you graduated early or dropped out-”

I cut River off before he could dig himself a deeper hole.  It was kind of cute seeing the ‘Bad Boy’ all flustered.  “Yeah, I’m going to school.  I’ll be starting on Monday.  All I really need is the weekend to get situated and get school supplies.  I’ll get my schedule on Monday.  I think I can keep up, even if I’ve missed a little bit.  I was in all advanced classes at my last school, but I got really sick and missed the last month and a half of last year, and moving caused me to miss some of this year.”

“That sucks, but it looks like you’re feeling better,” River said.  “And if you do need help, I would be happy to tutor you, or get one of my friends to.”

“As long as it isn’t Ryder,” I said.

River ran a hand through his hair and spoke, “Yeah, sorry about him.  He might come off as a dick most of the time, but he just keeps himself at a distance so he doesn’t get hurt.  It doesn’t excuse the fact that he is a class-A ass to pretty much everybody but me, our family, and like three other people.  Sometimes he’s still that way with us, so don’t take it personally.”

“I wasn’t planning on it,” I said.  I held up the basket.  “I’m going to put this in the kitchen.  Do you want something to drink?  You can make yourself comfortable.”

“Oh, thanks.  No, I’m good.  No drink needed,” River sat down on the couch as I went into the kitchen to set down the basket.  When I came back he was reading the blurb on the book I had set down when I answered the door.

“What’s this?” He asked.

“A new book I got today.  I have been waiting for that one for maybe six months.  She is one of my favorite authors.”  I sat down next to him.  River looked like he was going to say something when he pulled out his phone and made a face.

“Sorry, I need to go.  Ryder needs my help with something.”  He headed to the door.  “I’m glad I met you.  See you later.” He paused and then turned toward me again.  “I just realized I don’t know your name.  What is it?” he asked me.

“It’s Rose,” I said.  “Rose Michaels.”

“Well then,” River said as he opened the door, “until next time, Rose Michaels.”

When he smiled at me like that, I didn’t even think about what might happen because I gave him my real name.

Another pic of River and or Ryder...