Chapter 8

~Flashback~

Today had been especially hard, August had lost his puppy Fairywinkle. Of course, he didn't name her, his nieces did. And that little puppy was the last link he had to any of his family. He had been the only one to survive a house fire that killed the last four remaining members of his family. He was at an away game when the fire broke out. He was helpless to do anything to stop it.

Somehow the dog managed to get out and found August a few days later. He of course, couldn't part with it and had taken care of him for the past few months. The dog got heavily sick with cancer though and August couldn't bear to put anyone else through anymore pain. So he has the dog put down.

He was walking home from the vet now, to distraught to even drive his car. He decided to sit on a bench at the dog park he took Fairywinkle to. As he watched the families interact with one another, he started crying. He realized he was now truly alone.

Yes he had his boys, the occasional groupie, and basketball, but none of those filled the void in his heart.

"Ex-Excuse me mister?" He looked up and swore he saw an angel.

Her long hair flowed softly with the wind and there was a glowing light that surrounded her. Her clothes were torn but she still looked amazing. August heart got stuck in his throat.

"Ar-Are you o-kay?" Her voice was the sweetest sound he had ever heard. She sat down next to him and he was able to finally get a good look at her face.

She was stunning

She was stunning.

She hesitantly rubbed his back. "P-Please don't cry. Every-things g-going to be o-kay!"

She couldn't have been any older than August and she looked to have not slept in a while. But it still didn't take an ounce away from her beauty.

August wiped his tears. "Thank you sweetheart."

The young girl giggled. "Y-Your accent is f-funny."

August could do nothing but swoon. Her laugh was the most beautiful music he had ever heard in his entire life. And her smile made his heart grow three times larger.

"It is funny isn't it? What happened to your clothes love?"

She smile faltered a little. "Oh n-nothing. I fell and they r-ripped."

August could tell she was lying but he didn't want to scare this beautiful angel off. She also looked like she hadn't eaten in a while.

"Well, are you hungry?"

"N-No." Her stomach growled as she said it. She clutched it embarrassed.

"Do you want to come to my house and eat?" August had plenty of food, he was in the habit of buying enough food for him and his nieces, so he always had to much.

"I-I-I can't go with y-you! I'm s-sorry. You're a s-stranger."

"I am, you're a smart girl." She smiled at the compliment. "Okay, I'll make you a deal. How bout I take you to the restaurant across the street and we get something to eat?"