THIRTY-FIVE

"I know what I'm doing

I know I'm shocking you." -Miley Cyrus

<< Say What Now? >>

Dakota sleeps soundly in the backseat of the Impala, exhausted by the hunt they just finished. Sam follows her lead and falls asleep, leaning against the door with his head against his shoulder. 

Although Sam's sleep didn't last long, Dean's ringing phone wakes him up quickly. The oldest Winchester casts a quick glance over his shoulder at Dakota. 

"Yeah." Dean says into the phone, exchanging a look with Sam. 

Sam yawns and rubs at his eyes, blinking a couple times to wake himself up. 

Dean's eyes widen as he listens to the person on the phone, his expression falls away in complete surprise. He looks over at Sam, showing his younger brother his shock. 

"What?" Sam questions in concern, his brow furrowed--thinking something was wrong. 

Dean doesn't respond, instead he hangs up the phone and presses down on the gas pedal. Dakota whimpers softly in her sleep, her expression scrunching up. 

"Jack." She mumbles quickly, confusion and longing coloring her tone. Sam glances at her quickly, Dean was too distracted by his thoughts to hear her. 

Dakota bolts upright, a yelp leaving her throat as she gasps for air. Her wide eyes stare ahead as she catches her breath, she sighs and rubs her face. 

"You okay?" Sam questions, Dean sends worried looks at the rear view mirror every couple seconds. 

"Y-yeah, I'm good." She assures, wiping her eyes harshly. "Just a dream." 

"About Jack?" Dean asks, giving his daughter a look with a raised eyebrow. 

Dakota freezes, her body tensing as she meets her father's gaze. Clearing her throat, she shifts around uncomfortably. 

"You want me to lie? I-I don't know what you want." Dakota responds honestly, not meeting Dean's disappointed look. 

"Why him? Is it 'cause he's your only option?" Dean blurts, his face twisting up. "I mean, you don't have friends and you don't talk to...boys." 

Dakota mimics his expression, just with no disgust.

"Thanks for the reminder." She bites sarcastically, her annoyance falls and she sighs heavily, biting her lip. "No, it's not that. I don't know, dad, there's something about him." 

Her tone sounds lost and confused, sending a pang through Dean's heart. 

"Yeah, he's dangerous." Dean couldn't help but say.