Chapter 6: Sebastian

6

Sebastian

I couldn't even be embarrassed. I was just grateful not to be alone. The food, while delicious beyond all measures, was not sitting well, and I swallowed again as it threatened to come back. Maybe it was the grease, or the amount of salt or fat... it could have been anything. My body was so selective about what it tolerated these days, I'd likely be better off eating cardboard. It sucked, but that's just the way it was, and I was sorry that Summer had to see it. We'd been having such a good time, and I'd spoiled it. Having ruined days and ruined relationships seemed to be a side effect of cancer that I should have just accepted. But I didn't.

She was watching me from the corner of her eyes, and when she thought I wasn't looking, she'd turn her head to frown at me. She was worried. I could see it in her gaze. Whether that meant she was just a naturally compassionate person, or she genuinely cared about me, I wasn't sure. But I was grateful for it either way.

"Summer," I began, and caught her eyes flit to me. "I really am sor—"

"No, what did I say?" She interrupted. "No more apologizing."

I almost smiled, but didn't. "I have to apologize. I ruined the day."

"You didn't ruin anything. I ruined it by pretending that you are healthier than you are."

For some reason, that comment stung, but I didn't tell her that. She wouldn't understand why any more than I did. Sighing heavily, I wrapped my arms around my backpack and leaned my head back into the seat.

"It'll pass soon. My meds will kick in, and I'll be right as rain again. Tonight is still on." I urged, and heard her sigh.

"We'll see."

"No 'we'll see'." I said. "It is. Expect me at your house at five-fifteen sharp." Despite the worry in her eyes, I saw her smile, and joined her. "Can you call Tom for me?" I asked, and she nodded, pulled her phone from her pocket. I relayed the number and watched her dial, then sat quiet as she spoke to him.

"Hi, this is Summer from support group... yeah, hi. Um... no, I'm fine. I'm with Sebastian, and...yeah, no we went out for lunch and now he's really sick and..."

"Ask him to come over." I said, and she nodded.

"Yeah, he wants to know if you can come over... yeah okay, thanks." She hung up and let her phone clatter onto the center console. "He said he'd be there in ten.

I nodded. "Thanks. Right at the light." I pointed, and she followed my directions, pulled into my neighborhood a few minutes later. A minute after that, we were in my driveway.

Without a word, she got out of the car and rounded to my side, allowed me to wrap an arm around her as she helped me to my feet. She had my backpack slung over her right shoulder as she balanced me with her left, leading me to the front door. Once there, she rummaged my keys from my backpack before unlocking the door and helping me inside. Kicking the door closed with her foot, she guided me toward the couch on the right wall, beneath a row of windows that overlooked the street. Without letting me sit, she dropped my bag onto the cushions, then held me upright.

"Come on, let's get you out of your wet clothes." She said.

Her tone was so calm and motherly, I couldn't even argue, and pointed down the hall to my bedroom at the very end. Immediately, I noticed the unmade sheets and underwear on the floor, but Summer didn't pay it any mind. With her brows creased, she pulled my shirt over my head, shook it out, and laid it over the end of my footboard.