On The Run

It was just before dawn when I began to stir. My mind alerted me to my surroundings. I felt the leather straps under my left hand, I felt my left hand rise and fall with the breathing of my rescuer. I took a slow deep breath. I felt the soft blanket that covered me, the rough fabric of the cushions below me. My hair was plastered to my forehead, I felt the wetness on my face. I took a slow deep breath. I felt the fabric of the shirt I was wearing and the scratchy fabric on the pants I wore. I slowly took a deep breath, and opened my eyes. 

I was still on my left side, aware of the pressure from my body. I had not moved all night. I looked down to the floor and my rescuer was watching me. I matched the gaze in his eyes, I was so grateful for him. As his blue eyes began to pierce my soul, I could feel the unfamiliar rumble in my stomach. My brow furrowed and I began to wander what that noise was.

I watched as he took a deep breath and rose from his position on the floor. I chose to sit up from my spot as he rose. He disappeared behind a door and did not return for some time. I took the chance to begin to stretch my legs. I stood slowly and then sat back down. My legs felt amazingly stronger now then before. I stood again and started stepping slowly. I found my feet bore my weight easily and I was able to move softly across the room. 

I heard the door to the room open, and I looked to my right to see the room. Inside was a large bed and on it was a black bag. He walked over and took my right arm by the elbow and walked into another doorway. Inside was a sink and a toilet. I nodded and took care of my business, I watched as his face turned red and he left me alone in the room. I was not used to being alone and not having eyes on me at all times. In fact, I couldn't recall the last time I had walked without help. 

I finished in the wash room and exited, looking around. He exited the bedroom again, this time in a change of clothes. He was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt with a leather jacket over it. Gloves on his hands, he motioned for me to sit.

"On the couch." He spoke very firmly, but not rude. 

I obeyed and sat down promptly. He handed me socks and a pair of shoes. I furrowed my brow and looked at his feet, noticing the similar apparel he was wearing. I quickly put them on, realizing the shoes felt loose around my feet, but were functional. The entire time he stood there, watching over me. I began to wander if he had a name or name I could call him by.

"Bucky." He spoke as he turned to the bag on the smaller couch. I felt my brow furrow and was trying to figure out what he was talking about. "My name, it's Bucky."

He turned back and looked at me, I felt the corners of my lips barely lift and return to neutral. I was thankful to know his name. I wish I could tell him what they called me, Jesse. I took a slow deep breath, allowing my chest to rise and fall slowly. He extended his hand to me, which I quickly took. He lifted me from my feet and up into his arms, as we left. The sun was officially up and I was beginning to wander if he would let me walk, as I nestled into his arms.

"Would you rather walk?" He sounded annoyed when he asked me. I pulled my head away to look at his eyes. Realizing I could walk if he wanted me to, but I didn't mind being in his arms. It felt safe there. His piercing eyes returned my gaze and he nodded softly and we began to walk out of the build. I noticed the feel of the straps of a black backpack on his shoulders. We walked a few blocks down and he set me down on a bench. I felt a chill go down my arms, something was not right. 

He turned to walk to the edge of the curb and I grabbed his arm. His eyes shot to me with almost anger, and I shook my head as if to say no. I glanced around and furrowed my brow. I tried to tell him it wasn't safe, something was wrong, but my mouth betrayed me. Why would my lips not work! I gave a quick breath and he quickly scooped me up. As he did, a car pulled up and the driver began shouting as people got out of the passenger seat.