THE TRUTH

Amidst much elbowing and shoving, I pushed my way through the crowd.

I had photos of the party in one pocket and my cell phone in the other. I kept my hands resting on them, afraid that someone might knock me over.

I didn't think of a plan before I went; I told myself that if I was in danger I'd scream and someone would hear me. The closer I got to the stadium exit, the more I thought it wasn't a wise decision.

It was too late now.

I skillfully dodged a group of students jumping up and down, chanting the Union Hills song at the top of their lungs. With a well-aimed leap, I went from the bottom row of benches to the path that led to the exit.

I started running.

I felt a mix of two emotions: I hoped Cooper hadn't left because I needed to know what he'd done to me, but at the same time I was praying he wouldn't be there because I was afraid of how he'd react.

What if he killed me?

Shouts from the crowd echoed gloomily in the school's empty corridors, increasing the anxiety coursing violently through my body.

It was like being inside a washing machine.

I couldn't remember where the boys' locker room was located, even though a minute earlier I'd known exactly.

I took one corridor and then another.

I went back and started all over again.

Calm down, I told myself, resting my hand on a closed classroom door.

I shut my eyes for a moment and placed two fingers on the vein in my neck.

I managed to lower my heart rate a little, enough for me to visualize the path that would lead me to Cooper.

I ran as fast as possible, scared that my subconscious would make me take a wrong turn again.

It seemed like only a second had passed.

Only one door separated me and the boy who had caused all my problems.

A long, drawn-out creaking sound announced my presence.

Although it was morning, the locker room seemed shrouded in a dark cloud. The large windows that were supposed to let in the sun's rays were shuttered, while the neon lights radiated a cold, blue glow like the light in an operating room.

The room was partitioned by five walls lined with lockers, preventing me from having a clear view of the space. Not to mention the showers and bathrooms at the end of the locker room.

I moved forward, treading carefully like a thief inside a crystal jewelry store.

The door shut by itself with a loud bang that made the hair on my arms stand on end.

I hid behind the first row of lockers.

I listened for a sound that would tell me where Cooper was.

Silence.

The only sound my eardrum could perceive was water dripping in one of the showers, which resounded as far as me.

I put my hand in front of my mouth and nose to filter the smell of dozens of different male fragrances which had mingled in the locker room air before the game.

I tried to remember what people did in the movies in these situations. I should do the opposite because it always ended badly. I took a few steps toward the lockers, telling myself that from there I'd be able to peek at the second row. If it was clear I could look at the third, and so on.