WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT

I was really shocked at the way the hospital and Goldmist police handled my case. They told Principal Odette that I could go to her office, because "my condition wasn't serious".

Funny, I thought being almost strangled by a psychopath was pretty serious. Luckily, Odette assured me that it wouldn't take long. I found that even more amusing than the indifference of the first responders since she made me wait about ten minutes before letting me in her office because she had to prepare some documents.

I was tired and I'd been through so much that day; the last thing I needed was to be summoned to the principal's office, which reeked of mustiness and dead birds, to hear her tell me I had to clear my stuff from my locker.

"I didn't summon you here to dwell on what you think happened this morning," she said, shifting a file in her hands.

"What I think happened?" I cried. "Is everyone who has an important job in this town a dupe?!" I was sure I had to leave the school and, calmed by the idea of having Jay by my side, I was no longer interested in her or anyone else treating me with contempt.

"We'll let the relevant authorities decide," she interrupted me. "But as I have already said, that's not why I made you come so far."

I shifted in the annoying leather of the chair, hoping she would break the news quickly. Without her usual beating about the bush.

"Congratulations," she said, handing me a sheet of paper.

I frowned. It was a strange way to tell a student that she had to pack.

"Sarah Bloom, Manga Club President" I read, asking myself if it was time to get new glasses. "I don't understand. What does it mean?"

"It means you are a very lucky girl, Miss Bloom," she said, intertwining her long fingers, which moved like spiders' legs. "An hour ago, I received a call from a benefactor who sent me a check for your tuition fees for the year and for you to start a new club."

I sat up straight in my chair, charged with new energy.

"Of course, before summoning you I checked the validity of the check," continued Odette frostily. "Everything is in order. You can continue to be a Union Hills student and, as promised, I will support your application to Silver Wings University."

"I don't understand," I said, trying to figure out whether to jump from joy or wallow in doubt. "Who on earth did this for me?"

"The check is on behalf of Sir Daisy, Duke of the county of Londford," she said, reading the name on the check. "I've never heard of such a title, but doing my job is never dull."

Hearing that name, which meant nothing to Odette but to me signified a boy who I might never completely understand, I smiled.

"This is... fantastic!" I squealed with joy. "But there's still a problem. I don't have five students in my club and I don't think I'll find them before the end of the day."

Odette opened her desk drawer, and, sighing, handed me a bunch of keys.

"Classroom 25," she said. "As I said, you are a very lucky girl."

I ran out her office smiling like never before. I glimpsed astonished looks on the faces of some students, who must have wondered how someone could be so happy after speaking to the principal. I was well acquainted with classroom number 25 because the previous year it had been the replacement art classroom for a few weeks while ours was being redecorated.

I opened the door quickly and found myself in front of five freshmen. They were all wearing basketball caps, baggy pants, and scared looks. They were more video games and role-play types than manga fans.