No One Can Blame You

Jareth's eyes widened. Then his lips turned into a crooked smile. Despite his cunning look, his eyes had a sense of hope or heartache. I stepped back to save my neck after looking up at him for a while. After a moment of thinking, I knew what his answer would be if I let him choose.
"Just....just let me go home," I finally said, my voice breaking in the obvious sense that I didn't want to. Along with it, Jareth's cocky expression cracked away. His eyes shut tight and he turned away and took a few steps from me.
"If that's what you want," he said, still not looking at me to hide his pain.

JARETH'S POV

"Just...just let me go home," (Y/N) said, her voice squeaking a little. I felt her words stab my heart sharper than any knife or sword that I've heard of. It was almost like I could feel the castle crumble under me and the roof covering what was left of my broken self, but it just wasn't visible.
I turned and walked forward a little, not letting her see how much pain I was dealing with. "If that's what you want," I said bitterly, preparing myself to work up a spell to send her and the boy back to their school. Behind me, (Y/N) grabbed my arm as I heard "Jareth, wait."

YOUR POV
I tightened my grip on his bicep as I knew that I would regret whatever I was about to say almost immediately. Jareth slowly turned around as I dropped my hand.
"I...I can't..."
Spit it out! My thoughts said to me.
"I don't want to go home. I've been hurt, I've been played, I don't want to feel that again! Why should I go back to the same old crap like it'll get any better?" My eyes broke and tears came down. I didn't want to fight it. At this point in my life, I couldn't and shouldn't.
"Once I first was around you, I was happy to have an owl around. Genuinely happy!" Jareth held both of my hands. "(Y/N), if you have responsibilities, I underst--"
"I don't want those responsibilities! I want to be with you. I love you!"
My thought process immediately stopped at whatever came out of my mouth. Yep. I knew I would regret this. Jareth's eyes widened, looking at me oddly. At the same time, his face went red as a beet as he looked me up and down.
His gloved hands took a hold of mine and gently placed his lips against my own.

I woke up to my alarm with a tingling sensation on my face. I felt around myself. My bed, my sheets, my pillow.
What the hell?
I sat up and quickly dashed to my dresser where I remember the owl sitting at. There was a small amount of shedded feathers. It should have been legit. Everything felt so real.
Sighing in disappointment, I prepared for my day and went outside to the garage.
On my bike to school, a bird seemed to follow me the entire way. It really shouldn't have been my business, though. Maybe I had an odd connection to nature. I smiled at the funny thought, imagining how cool it would be.

Homeroom was the same, except the teacher wasn't exactly standing outside the door as usual. Maybe he was late. I sat down and started working when a substitute walked into the classroom. His hair was short and dirty blonde and he was skinny and tall. "Good morning," he said. "I'm Mr. Jones. Apologies that Mr. Robinson couldn't attend today."
Mr. Jones started calling out attendance. I felt my "here" was depressing, but I noticed he looked at me in a pitful way.
"Cole?" He called out. No response
Cole wasn't here.
Don't leap off a bridge to conclusions, my thoughts told me. One kid pointed out that Cole hadn't texted him. I shrugged and went back to my work.
As Mr. Jones sat down at the desk, he and I made eye contact and he shot me a small smile.
Then he slowly turned back to the desk.

(Thank you guys so much for being patient. I'm sorry this was delayed. I appreciate everyone's support on this story.
Thank you so much!