I'll Be Seeing You

Scene 1: East Houston Street

Zach Teeling

Her hand brushed over mine again. She glanced at me before stepping a bit closer, if possible, making it even more obvious that she wanted to hold hands.

I sigh before giving in and just taking her hand in mine— she smiled shyly in response.

Her hand is soft, and her nails are painted green and orange. I thought it was weird at first, but it sort of suits her.

"So, uh-" I break the silence before it could make things too awkward. "I'll buy the tickets, and you'll buy the snacks?"

"Sure," she said enthusiastically, smiling at me yet again.

"Do you know what you want to see, or-" I stop speaking when we approach the movie theater and I see Evan and Annette standing at the entrance. They both turned toward us and I locked eyes with Evan before quickly putting my head down.

"Ugh!" Annette groaned, "finally, you guys are here," she ran over to hug Karlie, and Karlie met her halfway as I stayed behind.

I could practically feel Evan's gaze on me, but I couldn't bring myself to look at him.

"Zach, you know Evan right?" Karlie asked after stepping back to join me again.

I nodded hesitantly but continued staring down at the ground.

"Okay, every movie we can get into being underage is really lame, so I think we should buy tickets for one of them and sneak into an R-rated movie," Evan proposes.

The girls nodded and shrugged while muttering "yeah" and "whatever." I figured I could go without responding, but...

"Is that cool with you, Zach?"

My heart dropped to my stomach.

"Me? Yeah...cool," I stuff my hands in my jacket pockets.

Evan has already given his to Annette.

Who invented that form of territory marking?

"You guys go get the tickets, we'll meet you inside, Okay?" Annette asked rhetorically before placing a kiss on Evan's cheek, and weirdly, he stared at me as she did it.

Still, we didn't speak at all. I trailed behind him and just followed his lead when he bought tickets to "Space Jam." Despite the fact that the guy at the ticket booth cocked his eyebrow at our choice in films.

Evan looked past me as he went to find Annette. I guess we're not even friends anymore...

"You like Twizzlers, right?" Karlie smiled as she held candy in one hand and a drink in the other.

"Right," I smiled back and put my arm over her shoulder.

"There's something called "Breaking the Waves," it sounds boring but it's rated-R, come on," Evan suggested and walked toward the theater before we could respond.

"Um-" Karlie says before leaning in to whisper in my ear, "isn't this movie like...really intense?"

I shrug, "I've never heard of it."

We take the very top row of seats. Evan is next to Annette, Annette is next to Karlie, and Karlie is next to me. The room is mainly filled with middle-aged adults who thankfully didn't notice us sneaking in here.

We missed the previews and the beginning of the movie, but I get the feeling none of us are here for it anyway. The movie is a bit heavy...one of those emotionally draining films that can't even be lightened up by the sex scenes because those are depressing too.