In Conversation

Scene 1: The Helmsley Hotel

Heather Blakely

"A bit early for you, isn't it, darling?" My dad asks as I come down the stairs.

"Only by a little," I shrug. I didn't sleep much, and then I woke up before my alarm.

"I'm quite surprised, considering that boy didn't leave until almost 3 A.M," he says in disdain, and I ignore him, heading toward the kitchen instead of responding.
"I'm assuming your grades this semester will be unmatched with that amount of late-night studying."

I roll my eyes and then turn to face him, "we're friends, dad. You know he wasn't here to be tutored."

"What was he here for?" My dad crosses his arms and raises an eyebrow at me.

"God forbid Leo is around me without an ulterior motive," I say sarcastically, "dare there ever be a possibility that he actually likes me."

"Let's hope not, that would be unfortunate."

I sigh, "I'm going to go to school now."

"I'll see you when you get home," he nods.

"I thought you were flying out to Berlin this afternoon," I furrow my eyebrows at him.

"I've rescheduled my trip for after your mother returns from Paris. I don't feel comfortable leaving you here alone anymore. Not after last night."

I scoff in response, "You know Jace used to stay overnight, right?"

"I am familiar with him and his family, Heather.  I know Jace Kendal personally and the sort of young man he is," he tries to justify his unreasonableness.

I almost laugh, "If that were true then you'd prefer for Leo to stay over instead."

He gives me a stern expression, and I reciprocate it before walking away to get a jacket out of the coat closet.

"Heather," he calls out as he follows behind me.

"Yes, father," I say in annoyance, quickly hitting the elevator button in hope of cutting this conversation short.

"What do you plan to do with this boy?"

"What do you mean?" I shake my head in confusion and step into the elevator.

He narrows his eyes, "You have feelings for him, don't you?"

"Yes."

The elevator doors close.

Scene 2: Chester High Cafeteria

Zach Teeling

"Are you crazy? People were turned into red mist!" Charlie Keaton argued.

"So what? Robocop is not better than Blade Runner!"

"You'd rather be a stupid blade runner than a kick-ass, crime-fighting cyborg?" He asks in disbelief.

"No," I admit, "I'd rather be the Terminator."

"What— you didn't say we could pick him," Charlie complains.

"You didn't ask," I shrug and smirk at my victory.

He shoots me a glare but doesn't fight me on it. "Do you want to get in line?" He points to the long line of students waiting for food.

"Uh-" I glance at the kids, and then over to the table I usually sit at. It's empty, but I see Evan standing around. "No, I'm going to wait until it gets shorter."