CHAPTER THREE

Katherine stands in the back of the line and pretends not to notice the swollen red skin under Darko's eyes. The sunken look in them as people offer him condolences and shake his hand.

Her eyes land on the hundreds of flowers arranged around Josh's grave. Grimacing, Katherine decides to focus instead on the funny hat a woman a few feet ahead is wearing. Eventually, the line herds her up to him.

Katherine stares at the floor as they shake hands. She wonders if he notices how sweaty her palms are, if he can hear how ridiculously loud her heartbeat is. "Sorry for your loss," Katherine mumbles. Darko's eyes focus. Hid mouth twists into a scowl. "Thank you," he replies. He squeezes tight, tight enough it hurts.

...

"How was your week, Katherine?"

Katherine stares out the window, watching Mabry's campus get smaller and smaller as they drive away. "It was good, Tia Helena," Katherine says.

"Good," Helena says. "After I heard what happened to those kids at your school, I was worried for you."

"No... yeah..." Katherine rubs her temple, wincing. "We're not letting it get in the way of our studies."

Helena's eyes light up. She turns around, looking at the teenage girl sitting in the back seat. "Fallen, did you hear that? What Katherine said?"

The girl glances up from her phone, staring flatly at her mother. "My name is Fallenchesca."

"Well, Fallen, she was talking about how important her studies are."

"Whatever, madre."

Helena turns back around, facing the road with pursed lips. "You know, Katherine, I think your behavior is remarkable. How any girl your age should act. In fact, I really don't think it's necessary your parents make you stay with me during the weekends. I think you're trustworthy enough to stay at Mabry by yourself."

Katherine continues to stare out the window.

"Katherine?" Helena says. "Katherine?" Helena reaches out, touching Katherine's shoulder. Katherine jumps. She turns away from the window, her breathing a bit unsteady and her eyes skittish.

"You alright?" Helena says. Katherine smiles, nodding.

...

Katherine stands in the back of the line, pretending not to notice the swollen red skin under Darko's eyes. The sunken look in them as people offer him condolences and shake his hand.

Her eyes land on the hundreds of flowers arranged around Josh's grave. Grimacing, Katherine decides to focus instead on the funny hat a woman a few feet ahead is wearing. Eventually, the line herds her up to the Grimsons.

First, she shakes hands with the father, General Grimson. "Sorry for your loss." Then Rachel, the sister. "Sorry for your loss." Then Darko.

Katherine stares at the floor as they shake hands. She wonders if he notices how sweaty her palms are, if he can hear how ridiculously loud her heartbeat is. "Sorry for your loss," Katherine mumbles. Darko's eyes focus. His mouth twists into a scowl. "Thank you," he replies. He squeezes tight, tight enough it hurts.

...

"You've been out of it lately," Adelaide says. She and Katherine lag near the back of the pack as they jog around the field.

"I haven't been sleeping well," Katherine confesses.

"Darko?"

"Huh?" Then she realizes Adelaide has turned around, and she's looking at something over her shoulder. Katherine follows her stare to Darko jogging towards them, his dark hair swishing across his forehead, sweat sliding down his chin, disappearing into his shirt. Katherine looks up to find Darko watching her stare at his chest.