CHAPTER NINE

As soon as Darcy starts to snore, Katherine catches the subway, makes her way past the bridge and into the club. She pushes her way through the crowded dance floor, to the table in the back.

"Where's Jam?" Katherine asks.

The group stares at her blanky. One of the points at his ear, mouthing, 'too loud'. Katherine clears her throat and tries again. "Jam?"

She's met with shrugs and dunnos.

Katherine grimaces. "Does anyone here sell what he sells?"

"I sell Crack," one says.

"Molly," another says.

A man offers her a loose grin. "Se-"

Katherine holds up her hand. "I'll just wait."

She picks a table in the far back, the one furthest away from the noise, people, and pulsing lights. After a few minutes, she puts her head on the table, watching the dance floor until it all becomes a neon blue.

"I see you took my advice."

Katherine startles. An old man stands in front of her, sipping a martini. "Happy with our service?" he says.

Katherine crosses her arms over her chest. "Ecstatic. Are you happy taking my college fund?"

He grins, showing off his mangy yellow teeth. They almost matched the golden watch on his wrist.

"Hey, is he bothering you?" A man from the dance floor walks up to Katherine, looking between her and the old man.

"Yes."

"Here, I'll take you for a drink."

"No thanks."

"How about a dance?"

"I'm good."

"You know, considering I'm helping you, you should-"

"No."

"Best leave her alone, boy," the old man says passively. "This one bites." The guy shuffles back to the dance floor, muttering names under his breath. "Must be nice being a pretty girl," the old man remarks. "Get all the free drinks you want."

Katherine rolls her eyes. "I see you're not homeless anymore."

"All in the trade. We use what we've got."

"Okay. Frankly, I don't think that-"

"Oh, don't high road me. Last time I saw you, you tried to eat a rat."

Katherine bites back a smirk. "So, you're in the blood business? How does that happen, do you start with crack and work your way up?"

"Something like that."

"You've met your fair share of vampires, then."

"I know things, yes."

Katherine leans in, holding her breath. The old man laughs in her face. "My information is too valuable to get for free," he says.

Katherine turns away, frowning.

"Before you refuse my price, don't you want to know what I'm asking?" he says.

"I don't want to get mixed up in your business."

He raises his eyebrows, gesturing at the club. "What do you think you're doing right now?" The doors to the club whip open the slam shut. Katherine and the old man turn to the sound.

A young man runs through the entrance of the club, his clothing ruffled and his hair in disarray. Katherine stands up. Jam shoves people aside, pushing his way to the middle of the dance floor. He yells something, but his words are lost in the music. Katherine steps forwards, straining to hear. "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

Ignoring the old man, Katherine moves closer, into the crowd. The boy yells something about leaving, about the- The doors burst open. A troop of police officers barge in through the entrance.