CHAPTER ELEVEN

The three step over yellow tape to an under construction highway bridge. They settle on the side of the bridge, dangling their feet over the ledge and looking at the city skyline.

The old man reaches for a patch in the ground, pulling it back to reveal a pack of beer.

"Come here often?" Katherine asks.

"Everyday." The old man hands Jam a beer, then offers Katherine one. "I've never had a beer before," Katherine says.

"I'll bet," he says with a snort. Katherine takes the bottle but doesn't open it. Grimacing, she looks out at the city. "Never in a million years," she mutters.

"You never do." The old man studies Katherine; his face free from a grin for once. "What's your story?"

"What? Like, my life story?"

"No, not your- I don't want to hear about you crapping your first diaper or the boy thought was cute. You should know what I'm asking for."

"I- I'm not-"

"Wake up. You're a vampire. You don't get to continue life as it was before. So far, you seem to be doing alright. Got yourself out of a tricky spot. No mental breakdowns just yet. I think you've got potential, kid. You could work for me."

"I came for the blood. That's it."

"Hey, how come you didn't bring that guy with you today?" Jam says.

Katherine blinks. Then she shrugs, playing it cool. "He didn't want to come back. Guess he didn't like your stuff."

"Cause he got the crap stuff. If he-"

"When did you bring a new guy to the club?" the old man says, staring at Katherine.

"I- well relatively new," Katherine says.

"You said he had just turned," Jam says. "She brought him yesterday."

"Uh, how long should we stay here?" Katherine says. "In order to ditch the police?"

"Oh, just a few more minutes," the old man says, reaching into his jacket. "I'm sure the police are almost gone." Then he pulls out his gun, aiming it at her.

Katherine freezes. She glances back, at the long drop below her.

"I wouldn't," the old man says. "Once you fall and break most of your bones, I'll shoot you until all of them are." He clears his throat. "What's his name?"

"This is ridiculous!" Katherine says. "Just because he's new you think he's the rat?"

"Jam, did this boy ever drink blood? Flash his fangs?" Jam slowly shakes his head. "I'll determine what's ridiculous," the old man snaps. "A name."

"I'm here," Katherine says. "I obviously had no idea what was going on."

"I never accused you of being smart," the old man growls. "For the last time, a name."

Katherine swallows, looking at the gun pointed at her heart. "His name... his name is... Edward. Edward Cullen."

The old man's glare remains fixed on Katherine as he speaks. "Jam, check your phone for any Edward Cullens in a fifty mile radius."

As Jam looks at his phone, Katherine grips the beer bottle and throws it at the old man. Her brute force greatly exceeded her aim, so the bottle grazes the old man's forehead, stunning him but doing no more damage than a scrape. While her back is turned, Jam jumps at Katherine.

She turns around just in time to clock him in the nose, throwing him back against the railing. There's a gunshot.

Katherine looks up from her bloody wound to the old man with a hot gun. Faster than she knew she could move, Katherine is by the old man's side, yanking the gun out of his hands and pointing it at him.