Chapter Thirty-one

Darko bites his lip, trying not to audibly breathe. From what he can tell from behind the desk, the two people have entered the room.

"I smell fresh meat," a gravely voice says. "It's intoxicating. Remind me, Lester, why I can't have a snack?"

Darko tense, going completely still. Not making a sound, his hands drift to the inside of his jacket.

"Stop. We're here to get a job done. Nothing more, nothing less."

The vampire snorts. "I thought you were going to tell me to not play with my food."

"Could you really eat her?"

Her?

"Alas, I made the mistake of eating vampire once, and it's not one I care to relive. Does that surprise you?"

Katherine?

"Not in the slightest." Though he said it scornfully, the vampire took it as a compliment.

The lawyer grabs a lighter off the top of his desk. "Let's get this over with."

As soon as the door shuts, Darko creeps up quietly from the desk and tiptoes to the door, his hand stalling there. The cops could arrive within minutes, but it sounded like Katherine didn't have more than seconds.

"Nine one one, what is your emergency?"

Darko whispers the address, then he opens the door, careful to do so slowly enough the knob would not creek. He steps into the hall, toward their voices.

"So you're a sadist, now? You can't just shoot me?"

Without thinking, Darko peers over the corner. Katherine is sitting on the floor, her wrists cuffed behind her back, her ankles shackled. Lester is dousing the kitchen with gasoline, working his way up to Katherine.

"You saw the general's show," Lester says. "You know this is the only way. And I'm no sadist. I'd spare you the pain of being burned alive, but I'm afraid I can't risk any witness hearing a gunshot." He pauses. "Though, I suppose the vampire wouldn't mind doing something for you."

The vampire grins. Katherine shakes her head quickly, her face turning grayish. Lester finishes up in the kitchen and approaches Katherine. Darko's hands drift to the small Swiss Army knife he keeps in his pocket.

A switch is flicked. Darko jumps out, hurling his knife as hard as he could. The blade digs into Lester's shoulder, throwing him off balance, and the lighter slips from his hand, landing into a puddle of gasoline which promptly bursts into flames. Fire runs through the trail of gasoline, dancing through the room.

Lester, Katherine, and the vampire stare at Darko with stunned looks. Faster than he can process, the vampire crosses the room and grabs Darko by his neck. They're about the same height, but the vampire lifts Darko high enough that his feet drag against the floor, and he does it all with one hand.

"Drop him!" Lester shouts. There is a line of flame in front of him, preventing him from coming any closer. "We need him alive for the trial. That's Darcus Grimson, the key witness."

The vampire doesn't look away. "You gave me this," he whispers. With his free hand, he fingers the long scar that wraps around his neck like a choker. Darko's face is turning purple and blue, his eyes are bulging out, but he still manages to smirk. The vampire tightens his grip.

"Stop!" Lester shouts. "Stop or I'll shoot!" The vampire's eyes widen, and for a moment, he freezes. Then he convulses, his hand flying open. Darko falls to his knees, coughing and sputtering, but still sentient enough to process the the vampire staggering forwards, revealing the person standing behind him. Katherine.